The 2012 George Polk Award for Television News Reporting was bestowed today on CBS Evening News With Scott Pelley for its coverage of Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng. CBS News correspondent Holly Williams, who is fluent in Mandarin, reported in May on Chen’s escape to the U.S. Embassy in Beijing following years of being under house arrest after exposing forced abortions in China. Pelley was credited on the story as anchor and managing editor, Patricia Shevlin was executive producer, Heather Abbott was senior producer, and Marsha Cooke was producer. Winners of the 64th annual Polk awards, unveiled today in 14 categories by Long Island University to honor special achievement in journalism, include PBS’ Frontline correspondent Martin Smith and producer Michael Kirk, whose four-part series “Money, Power And Wall Street” won for Documentary Television Reporting. Also a winner was Mother Jones Washington Bureau Chief and MSNBC analyst David Corn, who secured and unveiled the now-infamous Mitt Romney “47 percent” video that dented the GOP presidential candidate’s chances last year.
‘CBS Evening News’ Among Polk Winners
What's Hot on Deadline
Looking Under 'Logan Lucky's Hood As 'Hitman's Bodyguard' Stands Tall With $21M Opening - Saturday AM Update
'This Is Us': Creator Dan Fogelman & Cast Tease Even More Details About Season 2 - Deadline Emmy Panel
Boston Police Commissioner Praises "99.9 Percent" Of Protesters; Donald Trump Says Protest Helps "Heal"
FX Acquires 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', 'Logan', 'Girls Trip', 'Despicable Me 3', 'War For The Planet of the Apes' & More Movies
Latest TV News
- Dick Gregory Dies: The Legendary Stand-Up Comedian And Civil Rights Activist Was 84
- Anthony Scaramucci Signs With Hollywood PR Firm — Report
- Boston Police Commissioner Praises “99.9 Percent” Of Protesters; Donald Trump Says Protest Helps “Heal”
- Donald Trump Spotlights “Many Anti-Police Agitators” In Largely Peaceful Boston; Police Confirm Rocks Thrown
- ‘SNL’ Production Designer Eugene Lee On The Series’ “Unpresidented” Year
- Boston Rally “Officially Over”, Capping Day Of Cable News Attention