Peter Gilmore, an actor who appeared in a number of the UK’s top TV dramas in the 1970s and 80s as well as the Carry On series of film comedies, has died at the Trinity Hospice in London after a long illness. He was 81 and died February 3. He is perhaps best known as James Onedin in the BBC series The Onedin Line that aired from 1971 to 1980. Set in Liverpool from 1860 to 1886, it followed the rise of a shipping line named after its owner and his family. Gilmore starred in 91 episodes and Anne Stallybrass, whom he later married, played his wife in the series. He also appeared in Doctor Who, The Persuaders!, Ruth Rendell Mysteries and Heartbeat. Born in Leipzig in 1931, Gilmore came to the UK at the age of six and was raised in Yorkshire. He left school at 14 to follow his dream of becoming an actor. In 1958 he got his first major part as Sir Waldo in the TV series Ivanhoe. He then appeared in West End musicals including Lock Up Your Daughters, Follow That Girl and The Beggar’s Opera before moving into TV and film.
R.I.P. Peter Gilmore
What's Hot on Deadline
DGA Awards: Alejandro G. Iñárritu Wins Feature Film Award For 'The Revenant'; HBO Cleans Up With Wins For 'Game Of Thrones', 'Veep' & 'Bessie' - Full List
'Kung Fu Panda 3' Does Touchdown Dance With $21M As Super Bowl Weekend Slaughters 'Zombies', 'Choice': Sunday B.O.
DGA Awards: Inarritu's Big Win Gives Momentum To 'Revenant' But Keeps Best Picture Race In The Undecided Column
'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Reaches Unprecedented Height At Domestic B.O. With $900M, $2B Worldwide
'Revenant', 'Martian' & More In Global Milestones; 'Kung Fu Panda' Tops $100M In China - Intl Box Office Update
Latest Film News
- ‘The Jungle Book’ Super Bowl Spot: Multi-Media In The Rain Forest
- ’10 Cloverfield Lane’ Super Bowl Trailer: Kind Of Like ‘Close Encounters’?
- ‘Deadpool’ Super Bowl Trailer: Snark And Bloodshed
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Super Bowl TV Spot: “You Chose The Wrong Side”
- Ray Colcord Dies: Emmy-Nominated Television Composer Was 66
- ‘Revenant’, ‘Martian’ & More In Global Milestones; ‘Kung Fu Panda’ Tops $100M In China – Intl Box…