EXCLUSIVE: Tony Optican is leaving FremantleMedia North America after a four-year stint as head of the company’s scripted programming division. I hear his contract was up and was not renewed. FMNA is already looking for a replacement for Optican as well as for VP scripted development Holly Hines who just left to head scripted development and production for Participant Media’s new cable network. Under Optican, FMNA landed one series on the air, TBS’ dramedy Wedding Band, which was recently cancelled after one season. FMNA gets a co-producer credit on the CW/Warner Bros. TV pilot The Tomorrow People as the original format is part of its catalog. Mining that catalog for scripted US series will likely be among the priorities for Optican’s successor. Before joining FMNA, Optican was SVP of original programming at Sci Fi Channel and VP of current programming at Fox.
FremantleMedia North America’s Head Of Scripted Tony Optican Exits
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
Latest TV News
- Amy Sherman-Palladino Tells Women Stage Directors ‘Broadway Is Heaven’ – But Some Demur
- Genie Francis, ‘General Hospital’s Laura, Bumped Down To Recurring Status On ABC Soap
- ‘History Of Them’: Lisa Vidal, Felix Solis & Amit Shah Join Cast As Multi-Cultural Comedy Gets Formal Pilot Order…
- CBS Orders Drama Pilot ‘Murder’, Comedy ‘I Mom So Hard’ From Warner Bros. TV
- ‘The Alienist’ Review: Nothing Alienating About TNT’s Deft 19th Century Drama
- NBC Orders ‘The Enemy Within’ Drama Pilot From Ken Woodruff & Vernon Sanders