Ratings are so strong for the network’s current programs that “we aren’t going to need very much” for the fall primetime lineup, CBS chief Les Moonves told analysts today. He isn’t being complacent: CBS “ordered a couple of more pilots than in previous years” and the people involved in them are “phenomenal.” (See our listings here.) Still, “my guess is there aren’t going to be a lot of new shows” in May when CBS presents its lineup at the annual upfront presentation to advertisers. Moonves was uncharacteristically reluctant to say how big a price increase he expects in this year’s upfront. “My sales department will kill me,” he says. “Last year I said double digits [percent increase] and we only had 9%.” Even though he wouldn’t mention a number, he says “I’m feeling very confident.” But he may have to wait before advertisers are ready to go along with his proposal to measure commercial viewers based on the number of people who see them on DVRs or other platforms up to a week after they air — up from the current three days. “We’re in conversations with advertisers” but “I don’t know if it will be ready for this upfront.”
Les Moonves Says CBS Needs Few New Shows For Fall Schedule
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Latest Business News
- Review: Lerner & Loewe’s Golden ‘Brigadoon’ With Kelli O’Hara and Aasif Mandvi
- White House Celebrates Donald Trump For Not Acknowledging Sexual Assault Claims
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- ‘Transparent’ Writer Says Jeffrey Tambor Accusers Told “Their Truth” & Series Should Not “Be Taken Down”…
- Agent Cameron Mitchell Is Out At CAA; He Says Sexual Harassment Allegations “False”
- Deadline’s Podcast New Hollywood: Race-Specific Characters & ‘The 15:17 To Paris’ With Sinqua Walls