Best Buy and founder Richard Schulze have ended talks whereby he and private equity investors were seeking three board seats in exchange for acquiring a minority stake in the consumer electronics giant, Bloomberg reported. Schulze wasn’t able to line up debt and equity financing, according to sources cited by the news service. Schulze’s attempt to arrange a smaller deal with Cerberus Capital Management, TPG Capital and Leonard Green & Partners also ended. Hopes a deal might be achieved had risen earlier this year after Best Buy posted better-than-expected holiday sales. With a stake of about 20% Schulze is the company’s biggest shareholder and had sought since last year to take over the company he founded more than 40 years ago. He resigned as chairman in June and new CEO Hubert Joly has since stabilized sales, closing some stores and improving e-commerce operations. Schulze might still come up with a last-ditch proposal but it seems unlikely. Best Buy reports Q4 earnings Friday.
Best Buy, Founder End Investment Talks
What's Hot on Deadline
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
'Man Who Invented Christmas' Review: Dan Stevens & Christopher Plummer Turn Scrooge Origin Tale Into A Holiday Treat
Latest Film News
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind The…
- Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq’ Never Left The ’60s Behind – The Contenders…
- ‘Loveless’ Director Andrey Zvyagintsev On Filmmaking In Modern-Day Russia
- ‘Coco’ Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; ‘Justice League’ At $61M+; ‘Wonder’ Wows At $32M+: Friday AM…
- Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: “I’m Glad It’s Going Slowly, You Don’t Deserve A Bullet… Stay Tuned”…
- Feng Xiaogang’s ‘Youth’ Reinstated: China & U.S. Release Date Set After Sept Delay