Most of the ads were sold before Christmas, and the entire Oscars telecast hasn’t been as well sold “in over a decade,” ABC says. The partial list of advertisers includes heavyweights Fox, Samsung, Sprint, Coke, and McDonalds as well as the University of Phoenix. The average 30-second spot sold for about $1.7M, probably a record indicating, that there’s been a “full pricing recovery following the impact of the recent recession,” ad monitoring firm Kantar Media says. Prior to this year, the highest average ad sales price for the broadcast was $1.689M in 2008 — when advertisers spent $81.1M — Kantar says. The average price then fell 22.6% to $1.307M (for a total of $68M), growing to $1.4M ($70M) in 2010, $1.55M ($74.4M) in 2011, and $1.61M ($82.1M) last year. But the broadcast has also become more cluttered with ads. Last year commercials filled an average of 9:42 minutes per hour, up from 9:05 in 2011, 9:40 in 2010, 9:07 in 2009, and 8:47 in 2008. Kantar also says that ABC sells ads on Oscars.com and in a companion mobile app. Primary sponsors on the digital platforms this year will be Hyundai, Samsung, and University of Phoenix.
ABC’s Oscar Ads Likely Sold For Record High Prices
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Latest Awardsline News
- ‘The Divine Order’ Director Petra Volpe On The Crumbling Of The Swiss Patriarchy
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: WGA Nixes ‘Three Billboards’; Bleecker Puts Lumps Of Coal In Critics’ Stockings; ‘Get Out…
- ‘Get Out’s Jordan Peele Responds To Golden Globes Category
- ‘Let It Fall’ Director John Ridley: Racial Progress Reversing Under Trump
- Andy Serkis On Directing ‘Breathe’ And A New ‘Jungle Book’, His Tips From Peter Jackson & More – Behind…
- ‘The Greatest Showman’ Songwriters Benj Pasek & Justin Paul On The Revitalization Of The Original…