The stock is off about 2% after this morning’s report, which says Verizon took a big hit at the end of last year from Superstorm Sandy and charges for severance and pension expenses, and early debt retirement. The communications company recorded a Q4 net loss of $1.93B, down from a $212M loss a year ago, on revenues of $30.05B, +5.7%. Revenues were slightly ahead of the $29.83B that analysts expected. But earnings fell far short of forecasts. Not including one-time charges, Verizon earned 38 cents a share — well below the 50 cents that analysts envisioned. The company continues to struggle with lost wireline phone customers: Its total voice connections fell 6.8% to 22.5M, including 11.8M residential connections, -6.2%. The more technologically advanced businesses did much better: FiOS video subscriptions were +13.3% to 4.7M, and FiOS Internet subscriptions were +12.6% to 5.4M. Verizon Wireless also saw improvements, with subscriptions +6.6% to 98.2M. “We delivered a total return of 13.2% to shareholders in 2012, and we enter 2013 ready to accelerate the momentum we’ve achieved and create significant shareholder value in the years to come,” CEO Lowell McAdam says.
Verizon Shares Down Pre-Market On Weaker Than Expected Q4 Earnings
What's Hot on Deadline
'Deadpool' Smacking Christian Grey's February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
WGA Awards: 'Spotlight' & 'The Big Short' Take Marquee Film Honors; 'Mad Men', 'Veep' & 'Mr. Robot' Top TV - Full List
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest Business News
- Bill Cosby Fights Again To Stop Sexual Assault Case Moving Forward
- Will Hollywood’s Flood Of Franchises Beat ‘Star Wars’-Fueled 2015 Toy Sales?
- Will Smith & Alan Horn Join Obama & Katzenberg For Private L.A. Dinner – Update
- Samantha Bee Vs. The Guys On Late Night, Plus: The Coming Tony Awards Wars? – Gerard & Roth
- Hot Berlin Titles: What Buyers Are Buzzing About At The EFM
- Obamageddon Is In Effect As POTUS Arrives In L.A. For ‘Ellen’ & Fundraisers – Update