The company that publishes Entertainment Weekly and People magazine — as well as Time, Fortune, and Sports Illustrated — is said to be preparing to lay off as many as 700 people as it grapples with declining ad sales and subscriptions. The cuts, out of a staff of nearly 8,000, will take place this quarter and come from all corners of the business, my colleague Jill Goldsmith at Variety reports. It shouldn’t be a complete surprise. Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes told an investment gathering last month that the decline in the publishing unit’s revenues “seems to be continuing.” And Time Inc CEO Laura Lang told staffers this week in a memo, disclosed by the New York Post, that the business “remains challenged” which means there’ll be no pay raises for 2013 and that “we must continue to aggressively manage costs.” Time Warner will report year-end results for 2012 on February 6. UBS Investment Research analyst John Janedis expects the publishing unit to report cash flow of $457M for the year, -21.2% vs 2011, on revenues of $3.46B, -4.5%.
Entertainment Journalism Likely To Be Hit As Time Inc Weighs Big Layoffs
What's Hot on Deadline
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku Accuses 'True Lies' Stunt Coordinator Of Sexual Assault; Mother, Brother Support - Update
Latest Business News
- Timothee Chalamet Donates Salary From Woody Allen Film To Time’s Up, RAINN
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Undaunted By Syndication Slump, NATPE Boosts International, Reality, Local TV
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
- Nikki Glaser To Topline Live Daily Morning Show On SiriusXM’s Comedy Central Radio – TCA