Scandinavian format The Bridge is getting another adaptation, only this time it’s called The Tunnel. In what’s being billed as the first-ever bilingual broadcast series for the UK and France, Sky Atlantic HD and Canal Plus are co-producing the 10-part drama from Kudos Film and TV and Shine France Films in association with Filmlance. FX recently shot a pilot starring Demian Béchir and Diane Kruger for its own U.S. version of the Hans Rosenfeldt-created show which moved the action from the Danish-Swedish border to the boundary between the U.S. and Mexico. For The Tunnel, Ben Richards (Spooks, Outcasts, Party Animals) will lead an Anglo-French writing team to shift the story to the area where the UK meets France. Set primarily in Folkestone and Calais, the series seees detectives Karl Roebuck and Elise Wassermann called to investigate the death of a French politician on behalf of their respective countries. When a shocking discovery is made at the crime scene, they are forced into an uneasy partnership as they seek out a politically-motivated serial killer who draws them into his own personal agenda. Production will begin later this month for broadcast later this year. Exec producers are Anne Mensah for Sky, Fabrice De La Patellière for Canal Plus, Jane Featherstone, Karen Wilson, Manda Levin and Ben Richards for Kudos Film and TV, Nora Melhli for Shine France and Lars Blomgren for Filmlance. The Hour‘s Ruth Kenley-Letts is producer.
Sky, Canal+ To Adapt ‘The Bridge’ As Bilingual English-French Series ‘The Tunnel’
What's Hot on Deadline
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest International News
- Film Movement Bringing France’s ‘My King’ To U.S.
- BAFTA Awards: London Teed Up For Royal Party Weekend
- Barack Obama First-Date Movie ‘Southside With You’ Near Deal With Miramax, Roadside Attractions
- ‘Rebel In The Rye’ Adds Laura Dern, Brian d’Arcy James & Hope Davis – Berlin
- Nicolas Cage Reunites With ‘Ghost Rider’ Helmer On Horror Thriller ‘Mom And Dad’ – Berlin
- Voltage Scares Berlin With Vang Brothers’ Bogeyman Title ‘Bedeviled’