After making a transition from a scripted drama to a reality series, Ilene Chaiken’s L Word franchise is about to undergo another format metamorphosis, becoming a documentary. “The Real L Word is an important franchise,” Showtime’s entertainment president David Nevins said after the network’s executive session at TCA. “I want to change up the show and probably not continue it in exactly the same form. I’ve been talking a lot with (executive producers Dan (Cutforth) and Jane (Lipsitz) and Ilene about exploring sort of L Word culture, lesbian culture in places outside of New York and L.A., places where the subculture is not so defined and it’s maybe not so easy. And I think we’ll do a Real L Word documentary. We did the scripted show, did an ensemble reality show, and now it’s probably going to become a stand-alone documentary this year. But I think it’s an important franchise for us. It could be one-part, be two parts, they’re diving in doing research right now.”
‘Real L Word’ To Continue As Documentary
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- HBO Developing Musical Comedy From Bruce Eric Kaplan
- Mark Burnett & Roma Downey Producing Guardian Angels Drama For NBC
- Ellen Pompeo To Produce Cop Drama For ABC
- Astronaut Family Comedy Lands At ABC With Pilot Production Commitment
- Bow Wow To Co-Star In CBS' 'CSI: Cyber'
- TBS To Air First Season Of CBS Comedy 'Mom'