From neurosurgeon to barista? Patrick Dempsey plays a doctor on Grey’s Anatomy, but he has stepped up to help a different kind of patient. The actor announced today he won an auction for Tully’s Coffee, a bankrupt coffee chain based in Seattle, where Grey’s is set. Even though the show is filmed mostly in LA, Dempsey has cultivated a fondness for Seattle. Dempsey’s Global Baristas agreed to pay $9.15 million for Tully’s. With adjustments the total is closer to $10 million, Tully’s CEO Scott Pearson said. Dempsey prevailed over Starbucks and other rivals, boasting about it on Twitter last night: “We met the green monster, looked her in the eye, and…SHE BLINKED! We got it! Thank you Seattle!” Dempsey has been visiting Tully’s shops today in Seattle. A federal bankruptcy judge still has to confirm his bid and a hearing is scheduled next week. Tully’s has 47 company-owned stores with about 500 employees plus 70 franchise locations. Dempsey’s statement said he decided to bid for Tully’s a week before Christmas, after learning that other bidders had plans to close many of the company’s stores. He’ll be spending more time in Seattle. “He plans on being very engaged and involved,” Pearson said. “This is a 20-year-old company that needed a kickstart, and Patrick’s really provided that.”
Patrick Dempsey Rescues Small Coffee Chain
Trending Now on Deadline
'Dancing With The Stars' Finale Ratings Hit 4-Season High, 'The Voice' Down, 'Flash' & 'Mindy Project' Even
More From Team
- Jon Lindstrom Joins 'True Detective'; Dan Buran Boards TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot
- 'Unfinished Business' Redband Trailer: Vince Vaughn And Company Invade Europe
- 'Late Late Show' Guest Hosts Include Drew Carey & Judd Apatow Ahead Of Corden Debut
- Richard Linklater To Receive Palm Springs Visionary Award For 'Boyhood'
- MPTF's Night Before Oscar Fundraiser Setting Up Shop On Fox Lot
- Matt Barr Joins TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot; Katie Sarife In 'The Michelle Knight Story'