Movie producer Lloyd Phillips, who was working on the Warner Bros/Legendary Superman reboot Man Of Steel, died last night of a heart attack at his home in Malibu. Phillips was 63 and was born in South Africa but grew up in Auckland, NZ. The first New Zealander to win an Oscar, according to NZN, Phillips took home the statuette for his 1980 live-action short “The Dollar Bottom” — about a group of school boys who set up an insurance scheme against being caned by their teachers. Initial feature work afterward included Nate And Hayes with Tommy Lee Jones, Heart Of The High Country and Ruby Cairo with Andie McDowell, Liam Neesen, and Viggo Mortensen. Phillips’ more recent Hollywood credits included The Tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp, Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds with Brad Pitt, Tom Tykwer’s The International with Clive Owen and Naomi Watts, Martin Campbell’s The Legend Of Zorro with Antonio Banderas, Beyond Borders (also directed by Campbell, starring Owen and Jolie), Vertical Limit (also directed by Campbell), The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin, and Terry Gilliam’s Twelve Monkeys with Pitt and Bruce Willis.
R.I.P. Lloyd Phillips
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Latest Film News
- James L. Brooks To Receive WGA West’s Laurel Award For Screenwriting
- Saudi Arabia: ‘The Emoji Movie’ & ‘Captain Underpants’ Are First Films To Screen
- Gigi Pritzker & Clint Kisker’s MWM Invests In Ben Proudfoot’s Breakwater Studios
- Deadline’s New Hollywood Podcast: ‘The Greatest Showman’ Breakout Keala Settle Finds Inspiration In Anthemic ‘This Is Me…
- HBO Documentary Films Acquires ‘The Price Of Everything’ Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- ‘On Her Shoulders’ Teaser: Alexandria Bombach’s Sundance Docu Reveals Price Of Becoming Voice Of A People