Paramount‘s Brett Ratner-directed Hercules, starring Dwayne Johnson as the legendary strongman, will hit theaters August 8, 2014, a week after Disney/Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy is slated to bow. Hercules is an adaptation of the 2008 Radical Studios graphic novel Hercules: The Thracian Wars, which takes the supernatural out of classical mythology and places it in a more real-world context. If the MGM-Paramount co-production is a hit, it could signal the beginning of a franchise; the graphic novel was followed by a sequel, The Knives Of Kush, in 2011. The film’s script is by Ryan Condal, with revisions by Evan Spiliotopoulos. Ratner, Beau Flynn and Barry Levine are producing, with Peter Berg, Sarah Aubrey and Jesse Berger executive producing. Production is scheduled to start soon. Aside from Johnson, no other cast has been announced.
Paramount Dates ‘Hercules’ August 8, 2014
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Red Band Society' Bus Ads Pulled Over Offensive Language Referring To Octavia Spencer
- Hot Trailer: Christoph Waltz & Amy Adams In Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes'
- Fox Moves 'Assassin's Creed' Out of 2015; Sets 'Deadpool' For Feb. 2016
- Ruben Fleischer, David Bernad & Justin Spitzer Sell Workplace Comedy To NBC
- Tech Titan Larry Ellison Steps Down As Oracle CEO
- R.I.P. Publicist Bob Palmer