Paramount‘s Brett Ratner-directed Hercules, starring Dwayne Johnson as the legendary strongman, will hit theaters August 8, 2014, a week after Disney/Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy is slated to bow. Hercules is an adaptation of the 2008 Radical Studios graphic novel Hercules: The Thracian Wars, which takes the supernatural out of classical mythology and places it in a more real-world context. If the MGM-Paramount co-production is a hit, it could signal the beginning of a franchise; the graphic novel was followed by a sequel, The Knives Of Kush, in 2011. The film’s script is by Ryan Condal, with revisions by Evan Spiliotopoulos. Ratner, Beau Flynn and Barry Levine are producing, with Peter Berg, Sarah Aubrey and Jesse Berger executive producing. Production is scheduled to start soon. Aside from Johnson, no other cast has been announced.
Paramount Dates ‘Hercules’ August 8, 2014
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
- Discovery Spikes 'Sons Of Guns' After “Serious And Horrific” New Charges Against Star
- NBC Ups Jenny Groom To SVP Alternative Programming & Development
- Now On Its Own, Millennium Entertainment Acquires David Burris' Thriller 'The World Made Straight'
- Former Discovery Exec Andrew Jackson Joins Grant Mansfield's Plimsoll Productions
- 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Crosses $500M In Global B.O.