EXCLUSIVE: CAA lost the longtime top client in late December. And now I’ve learned that Oprah Winfrey has signed with WME‘s Ari Emanuel and Rick Rosen and a team of agents. The big signing comes after Oprah and her cable network OWN scored 3.2 million viewers for her confessional sit-down with disgraced doper Lance Armstrong. I understand today’s move culminates a long slow wooing by the agency, the same kind that WME has done with Dick Wolf (successfully) and Shonda Rhimes (unsuccessfully, for the moment), and some other key TV creators and producers. Winfrey had been a very important client for CAA. Among other things, the agency put together her deal with Discovery Communications for OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. But Oprah isn’t an easy client by any means.
EXCLUSIVE: Oprah Signs With WME
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Latest TV News
- Modern VideoFilm Founder Sues New Owner For $100 Million
- Latest Creative Arts Emmys Presenters Include Chris Hardwick, Margo Martindale & Gloria Steinem – Update
- ABC Nabs ‘Start Up’ Comedy Starring & Directed By Zach Braff As Put Pilot
- IATSE Offers To Help ‘Sausage Party’ Animators & Fight “Untenable” VFX Working Conditions
- ‘Splitting Up Together’ Comedy From Emily Kapnek & Ellen DeGeneres Gets ABC Put Pilot Commitment
- Donald Trump: Abedin-Weiner Split Exposes Possible National Security Risk In Clinton Campaign