Sony has shifted the release of its reboot with FilmDistrict of Evil Dead to April 5 now that Fox has moved its Sandra Bullock–Melissa McCarthy comedy The Heat to June 28. The bump to summer puts the Paul Feig-directed buddy cop pic in prime position to capture Bridesmaids-esque box office magic, but it left the April 5 slot wide open for anyone ready to saddle up against Universal’s Jurassic Park 3D, the only other wide release in the frame. (Fox Searchlight also advanced Danny Boyle’s Trance to fill the April 5 void, albeit in limited release.) Enter Sony/FilmDistrict’s Evil Dead, directed by Fede Alvarez and produced by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, which will counter Steven Spielberg‘s genetically engineered re-dimensionalized dinos with R-rated gore and a twist on the classic Evil Dead premise that already has the genre crowd’s attention. The early open also strategically moves Evil Dead ahead of Weinstein/Dimension’s Scary Movie 5, which opens the following week.
Sony Moves ‘Evil Dead’ Into April 5 Slot After Fox Bumps ‘The Heat’ To Summer
What's Hot on Deadline
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Director Terry Gilliam Says #MeToo "Got Silly", "Monster" Harvey Weinstein "Opened The Door" For Some
Latest Film News
- Paramount’s ‘Dora The Explorer’ Movie Set For Australia Shoot After Tax Break Concession
- ‘First Match’ And ‘TransMilitary’ Are Among SXSW Audience Award Winners
- Shia LaBeouf, Lucas Hedges To Star In ‘Honey Boy’
- ‘Augie’ Review: Fitness Giant’s ALS Struggle Makes For Moving Love Story
- ‘Can You Ever Forgive Me?’ First Look Trailer Showcases Melissa McCarthy As Literary Forger Lee Israel
- Saudi Arabia Fund Deal For Endeavor Stake Could Close In Week’s Time For $400M