Sony has shifted the release of its reboot with FilmDistrict of Evil Dead to April 5 now that Fox has moved its Sandra Bullock-Melissa McCarthy comedy The Heat to June 28. The bump to summer puts the Paul Feig-directed buddy cop pic in prime position to capture Bridesmaids-esque box office magic, but it left the April 5 slot wide open for anyone ready to saddle up against Universal’s Jurassic Park 3D, the only other wide release in the frame. (Fox Searchlight also advanced Danny Boyle’s Trance to fill the April 5 void, albeit in limited release.) Enter Sony/FilmDistrict’s Evil Dead, directed by Fede Alvarez and produced by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, which will counter Steven Spielberg‘s genetically engineered re-dimensionalized dinos with R-rated gore and a twist on the classic Evil Dead premise that already has the genre crowd’s attention. The early open also strategically moves Evil Dead ahead of Weinstein/Dimension’s Scary Movie 5, which opens the following week.
Sony Moves ‘Evil Dead’ Into April 5 Slot After Fox Bumps ‘The Heat’ To Summer
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- Catherine Zeta-Jones To Play Colombian Drug Lord In 'The Godmother'
- Quentin Tarantino's New Beverly Cinema Re-Opens In Los Angeles
- 'The Bridge's Diane Kruger Sets Indies 'Maryland' & 'Sky'
- UTA Independent Film Group Adds Memento Films' Nick Shumaker
- 'Interstellar' Trailer: Matthew McConaughey Will Save Us All
- Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' To Open Two Days Early In 35mm, 70mm