The holiday film appears to be a bigger disappointment than Lazard Capital Markets’ Barton Crockett imagined just a few weeks ago. He says today that he expects the studio to take a $96M write-down — more than double the $45M he predicted in mid-December, and close to the $109M that DreamWorks Animation took in 2006 for Flushed Away. Crockett now forecasts that the company will report a 44 cents-per-share loss for Q4, down from his previous prediction of a 6 cent loss. Crockett says that Rise Of The Guardians likely will end up generating $110M at domestic box offices and $210M overseas vs. his previous forecast for $130M and $276M, respectively. “While bulls will want to look past this write-off, the risk is that a second flop like Guardians could dramatically change sentiment,” he says. DreamWorks Animation shares are down about 2% in mid-afternoon trading, and more than 26% since early November.
How Much Will DreamWorks Animation Write Off For ‘Rise Of The Guardians’?
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Business News
- Comcast Launches Initiatives To (Finally) Fix Its Customer Service Woes
- UFO Tale ‘The Phoenix Incident’ Lands At XLrator
- WGA East To Reality Producers: Let’s Talk Collective Bargaining
- Peter Chernin: Periscope Didn’t Plan To Help Mayweather-Pacquiao Pirating
- Oscar-Winning Producer Rips WGA Over Inclusion On Unfair Business Practices List
- Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ Marketing Will Try To Keep Demand From Peaking Too Soon