The holiday film appears to be a bigger disappointment than Lazard Capital Markets’ Barton Crockett imagined just a few weeks ago. He says today that he expects the studio to take a $96M write-down — more than double the $45M he predicted in mid-December, and close to the $109M that DreamWorks Animation took in 2006 for Flushed Away. Crockett now forecasts that the company will report a 44 cents-per-share loss for Q4, down from his previous prediction of a 6 cent loss. Crockett says that Rise Of The Guardians likely will end up generating $110M at domestic box offices and $210M overseas vs. his previous forecast for $130M and $276M, respectively. “While bulls will want to look past this write-off, the risk is that a second flop like Guardians could dramatically change sentiment,” he says. DreamWorks Animation shares are down about 2% in mid-afternoon trading, and more than 26% since early November.
How Much Will DreamWorks Animation Write Off For ‘Rise Of The Guardians’?
What's Hot on Deadline
Julian Fellowes On The End Of 'Downton' And Its Future: "The Crawleys Would Still Be There" - AwardsLine
'Pawn Stars' Regular Austin 'Chumlee' Russell Will Plead Guilty To Drug Charge, Avoid Jail Time - Update
Latest Business News
- Viacom’s Longtime PR Chief Carl Folta Exits
- WGA Reaches Deal For New Contract With Public TV
- AFI Faculty Calls For Dean’s Firing
- Alex Meneses Inks With Untitled; Verne Troyer Teams With Studio71
- Stacey Snider Era At Fox Begins Sept. 1 As Jim Gianopulos Takes Early Leave
- Primary Wave Hires Two Managers & Digital Exec; Legacy Agency Founder Jordan Bazant Moves To WME