The holiday film appears to be a bigger disappointment than Lazard Capital Markets’ Barton Crockett imagined just a few weeks ago. He says today that he expects the studio to take a $96M write-down — more than double the $45M he predicted in mid-December, and close to the $109M that DreamWorks Animation took in 2006 for Flushed Away. Crockett now forecasts that the company will report a 44 cents-per-share loss for Q4, down from his previous prediction of a 6 cent loss. Crockett says that Rise Of The Guardians likely will end up generating $110M at domestic box offices and $210M overseas vs. his previous forecast for $130M and $276M, respectively. “While bulls will want to look past this write-off, the risk is that a second flop like Guardians could dramatically change sentiment,” he says. DreamWorks Animation shares are down about 2% in mid-afternoon trading, and more than 26% since early November.
How Much Will DreamWorks Animation Write Off For ‘Rise Of The Guardians’?
What's Hot on Deadline
How 'Pirates' & 'Baywatch' Are Casualties Of Summer Franchise Fatigue At The Domestic B.O. — Sunday AM
Cannes: 'The Square' Takes Palme D'Or; Sofia Coppola Best Director; Acting Honors For Joaquin Phoenix & Diane Kruger
How Lynne Ramsay Got Over 'Jane Got A Gun' & Embraced Joaquin Phoenix Noir 'You Were Never Really Here' - Cannes
Latest Business News
- Brush Fire Near Getty Center Threatens Homes and Buildings on L.A.’s West Side
- Donald Trump Comes Home, Fires Up Twitter, Rips Media & New Normal Resumes
- Tony Nominee Jenn Colella Came From Away – And Landed On Broadway
- Yahoo News Editor-In-Chief To Exit After Verizon Merger
- The Horse’s Mouth 8: The Importance Of Feeling Important
- Ava DuVernay’s ARRAY Snags L.A. Film Fest Debuting ‘The House On Coco Road’