The holiday film appears to be a bigger disappointment than Lazard Capital Markets’ Barton Crockett imagined just a few weeks ago. He says today that he expects the studio to take a $96M write-down — more than double the $45M he predicted in mid-December, and close to the $109M that DreamWorks Animation took in 2006 for Flushed Away. Crockett now forecasts that the company will report a 44 cents-per-share loss for Q4, down from his previous prediction of a 6 cent loss. Crockett says that Rise Of The Guardians likely will end up generating $110M at domestic box offices and $210M overseas vs. his previous forecast for $130M and $276M, respectively. “While bulls will want to look past this write-off, the risk is that a second flop like Guardians could dramatically change sentiment,” he says. DreamWorks Animation shares are down about 2% in mid-afternoon trading, and more than 26% since early November.
How Much Will DreamWorks Animation Write Off For ‘Rise Of The Guardians’?
What's Hot on Deadline
Film Independent Spirit Award Nominations Announced: 'Carol', 'Spotlight', 'Beasts Of Nation' Come Up Strong
CW's 'DC's Legends Of Tomorrow', 'The 100', Get Premiere Dates, 'Vampire Diaries', 'The Originals' Move To Friday
Latest Business News
- ‘Sylvia’, With Matthew Broderick, Will Shutter Early On Broadway
- Justice Department Probes Comcast’s Clout In Local Pay TV Ad Sales
- John Stamos Pleads “No Contest” To DUI, Gets Three Years Probation
- SAG-AFTRA Executive’s Daughter Reported Missing
- What Led GameStop To See Disappointing ‘Star Wars Battlefront’ Sales?
- Broadway Box Office Slumps But Bruce Willis’ Upticking ‘Misery’ Loves Company