The holiday film appears to be a bigger disappointment than Lazard Capital Markets’ Barton Crockett imagined just a few weeks ago. He says today that he expects the studio to take a $96M write-down — more than double the $45M he predicted in mid-December, and close to the $109M that DreamWorks Animation took in 2006 for Flushed Away. Crockett now forecasts that the company will report a 44 cents-per-share loss for Q4, down from his previous prediction of a 6 cent loss. Crockett says that Rise Of The Guardians likely will end up generating $110M at domestic box offices and $210M overseas vs. his previous forecast for $130M and $276M, respectively. “While bulls will want to look past this write-off, the risk is that a second flop like Guardians could dramatically change sentiment,” he says. DreamWorks Animation shares are down about 2% in mid-afternoon trading, and more than 26% since early November.
How Much Will DreamWorks Animation Write Off For ‘Rise Of The Guardians’?
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Sony Slashes Profit Estimate As Mobile Phone Sales Fail To Connect
- UPDATE: FCC Net Neutrality Comment Period Closes With Record 3.7M Responses
- Scripps Networks Agrees To Supply Channels To Dish Network's Planned Streaming Video Service
- Bonnie Hammer Re-Teams With Mentor Barry Diller On IAC Board
- Apple iPhone 6 Pre-Orders Exceed 4M In First 24 Hours
- Cable Operators Continue To Lead Industry In Profitability: Report