Shooting kicked off today on BBC One‘s three-part legal thriller The Escape Artist with David Tennant in the lead. The drama was created and written by David Wolstencroft (Spooks, MI-5) and also stars Extras‘ and Ugly Betty‘s Ashley Jensen, Hotel Rwanda Oscar nominee Sophie Okonedo and Toby Kebbell. Tennant plays Will Burton, a lawyer nicknamed “The Escape Artist” thanks to his ability to get people out of tight legal corners. But when his talents acquit the prime suspect in a horrific murder trial, his brilliance comes back to bite him. Hilary Bevan Jones (Restless, HBO’s Mary And Martha) and Paul Frift produce; Wolstencroft and Matthew Read exec produce. The erstwhile Doctor Who, Tennant, will next be seen Stateside in two-part drama Spies Of Warsaw which debuts on BBC America on April 3. BBC America also recently acquired eight-part ensemble drama series Broadchurch with Tennant starring and broadcast planned as part of the network’s Dramaville block later this year, following the spring UK premiere.
David Tennant To Play Legal Eagle In New BBC Drama ‘The Escape Artist’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Tartaglione
- Hot TV Trailer: 'Downton Abbey' Season 5; UK Premiere Set For September 21
- Venice: '99 Homes' Takes On The 1% With Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon (Video)
- Global Showbiz Briefs: DreamWorks Signs 4- Series Deal With South Korea's Studio Mir; Veteran Aussie Actor Bill Kerr Dies; More
- Venice: Bogdanovich Unveils Screwball Comedy 'She's Funny That Way', Riffs On 'Lost Hollywood'
- Global Showbiz Briefs Chinese Web Giant Youku Launches Heyi Film; eOne Acquires 'Seed' Producer Force Four; More