Shooting kicked off today on BBC One‘s three-part legal thriller The Escape Artist with David Tennant in the lead. The drama was created and written by David Wolstencroft (Spooks, MI-5) and also stars Extras‘ and Ugly Betty‘s Ashley Jensen, Hotel Rwanda Oscar nominee Sophie Okonedo and Toby Kebbell. Tennant plays Will Burton, a lawyer nicknamed “The Escape Artist” thanks to his ability to get people out of tight legal corners. But when his talents acquit the prime suspect in a horrific murder trial, his brilliance comes back to bite him. Hilary Bevan Jones (Restless, HBO’s Mary And Martha) and Paul Frift produce; Wolstencroft and Matthew Read exec produce. The erstwhile Doctor Who, Tennant, will next be seen Stateside in two-part drama Spies Of Warsaw which debuts on BBC America on April 3. BBC America also recently acquired eight-part ensemble drama series Broadchurch with Tennant starring and broadcast planned as part of the network’s Dramaville block later this year, following the spring UK premiere.
David Tennant To Play Legal Eagle In New BBC Drama ‘The Escape Artist’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Venice: Thelma Schoonmaker On Working With Martin Scorsese, 'Silence' & Preserving Michael Powell's Legacy
- Weinstein Co Acquires 'Roald Dahl's Esio Trot' With Judi Dench & Dustin Hoffman
- Hot Venice Clip: James Franco's 'The Sound And The Fury'
- N Korea Warns UK Over C4 Political Thriller: “Anti-DPRK Hysteria” Would Bring “Disgrace And Self-Destruction”
- Venice: Lars Von Trier Speaks, Sort Of; Helmer Prepping English-Language TV Series, Eyes “Huge Cast”
- 'X Factor UK' With Returning Simon Cowell Sheds 1M+ Viewers On Sunday (Video)