EXCLUSIVE: Add David Letterman to the outcry over today’s exclusion of Zero Dark Thirty‘s Kathryn Bigelow from the Best Director Oscar nomination roster. While the film is up for Best Picture and four other major awards, I’m told that on tonight’s Late Show With David Letterman, Dave calls Bigelow’s exclusion “a travesty.” That’s tame compared to some of the reactions around town. Megan Ellison, whose Annapurna Pictures financed the film, demanded a recount and called it “So fucked up” in a Tweet. LA Times critic Kenneth Turan called Bigelow a casualty of “the bullying power of the United States Senate and an undeserved loss for Zero Dark Thirty in general and director Kathryn Bigelow in particular.” Now, I thought Letterman swore off movies after his work in Cabin Boy, but I’m told he’s a big fan of Zero Dark Thirty. He had Jessica Chastain on the show early this week and Bigelow guested last night. Here’s a clip of what she had to say about the controversy last night:
David Letterman Joins Boo-Bird Chorus Over Kathryn Bigelow Oscar Snub
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Dax Shepard Driving Warner Bros 'CHiPS' Film; Michael Pena To Play Ponch
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur