EXCLUSIVE: Add David Letterman to the outcry over today’s exclusion of Zero Dark Thirty‘s Kathryn Bigelow from the Best Director Oscar nomination roster. While the film is up for Best Picture and four other major awards, I’m told that on tonight’s Late Show With David Letterman, Dave calls Bigelow’s exclusion “a travesty.” That’s tame compared to some of the reactions around town. Megan Ellison, whose Annapurna Pictures financed the film, demanded a recount and called it “So fucked up” in a Tweet. LA Times critic Kenneth Turan called Bigelow a casualty of “the bullying power of the United States Senate and an undeserved loss for Zero Dark Thirty in general and director Kathryn Bigelow in particular.” Now, I thought Letterman swore off movies after his work in Cabin Boy, but I’m told he’s a big fan of Zero Dark Thirty. He had Jessica Chastain on the show early this week and Bigelow guested last night. Here’s a clip of what she had to say about the controversy last night:
David Letterman Joins Boo-Bird Chorus Over Kathryn Bigelow Oscar Snub
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office: 'If I Stay' Best Of Lifeless Bunch As 'Sin City 2' Tanks, 'Game' Tries To Find Footing And 'Guardians' No. 1
More From Fleming Jr
- Does TV Hurt Movie Careers? 'True Detective's Matthew McConaughey Coveted For 'The Stand' And 'Gold'
- Tobey Maguire's Material Signs Oscar Sharp To Blind Deal Off Short Pic 'The Karman Line'
- Circle Of Confusion's Brad Mendelsohn To Head Lit Department
- Andrew Dominik To Script 'Shaolin Temple' For Helmer Justin Lin
- Brad Grey Takes ALS Plunge With Help From Johnny Knoxville
- EMMYS: Deadline's Live-Blog Special Guest: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter