A group of private equity firms may bid against DirecTV to acquire GVT, the Brazilian broadband unit of Canal Plus owner Vivendi. The firms include KKR, Apax Partners, JPMorgan Chase’s Gavea Investments and Cambuhy Investimentos, Bloomberg reports. The consortium would be willing to pay about 5B euros ($6.78B), starkly lower than Vivendi’s 8B euro ($10.85B) asking price. But DirecTV may get closer to the ask, as it eyes increased demand for pay-TV and Internet service in Latin America and with growth subsiding in the U.S., Bloomberg sources said. “I see it as a nice-to-have, not a must-have,” DirecTV CEO Mike White said earlier this month. “There are synergies, but it’s still a work in process, and I can’t yet tell you whether the synergies are big enough for me to get comfortable that they can more than offset the premium. All that depends on the price.” DirecTV, Liberty Global, America Movil and a group of private equity funds were reported to have entered non-binding bids of less than 7B euros in November, Reuters said at the time. Vivendi acquired GVT for $4.18B in 2009 but has been looking to divest of some telecom assets as it focuses on developing its content and media businesses. The GVT auction is moving into a second round of bids and could be concluded by the end of February, Bloomberg said.
Consortium May Rival DirecTV Bid For Vivendi’s Brazilian Broadband Unit: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
Imagine Dragons Frontman Dan Reynolds Takes On Mormon Church Policy With HBO Doc 'Believer' — Sundance Studio
Latest International News
- ITN Productions Eyes U.S. Expansion, Preps California ‘House Of Horrors’, Meghan Markle And Trump Docs
- Fox-Sky Deal: UK Authority Says “Not In The Public Interest”; Hints Disney Could Help
- Sony Launches Free-To-Air Crime Channel In The UK
- Megyn Kelly Plays “Hanoi Jane” Card In Feud With Jane Fonda Over Plastic Surgery Question
- British TV Host Billie JD Porter Details Vice Harassment Allegations
- Caryn Mandabach Prods Developing Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘When We Were Orphans’