They’ll have twice the maximum space of the current fourth-generation iPads, but they’re not for bargain hunters: The Wi-Fi-only model of the new 128GB iPad will carry a suggested retail price of $799, while the ones that also handle cellular connections will go for $929. They’ll be available next Tuesday at Apple‘s online and bricks-and-mortar outlets. The company’s targeting businesses that need extra storage to handle memory-intensive applications and files including 3D CAD, X-rays, film and music editing, and blueprints. The additional memory means that “enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs,” Apple SVP Worldwide Marketing Philip Schiller says. Apple’s unusual decision to upgrade the iPad midway though its life cycle has led to some speculation that the company will wait longer than expected to introduce a fifth-generation iPad. The current model was unveiled in October. But investors appear to like the move: Apple shares — which are down nearly 35% since mid-September — are up 1.2% in early trading while the overall market is flat.
Apple Unveils 128GB Version Of iPad 4
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest Business News
- Oscars Street Closures: When & Where To Expect Detours, Delays
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling…
- Donald Trump Will Attend This Year’s Gridiron Dinner; Still A “Maybe” On White House Correspondents…
- Facebook To Rely On Ben Franklin-Era Technology To Verify Political Ads In The Wake of Russian Meddling
- Donald Trump Taunts Oprah At End Of Manic Weekend Of Tweets And TV News Watching
- NBA Guard Appears To Slur Chinese People In New Year’s Video