The stock fell at least 4% in after hours trading moments after the e-retail giant announced its results — but have rebounded to +6.7%. The company generated net income of $97M in the quarter, down 45% vs the same period last year, on revenues of $21.27B, +22%. Analysts expected revenues to come in higher, at $22.26B. Earnings of 21 cents a share also were short of forecasts for 29 cents. Amazon pointed to strong sales for its Kindle e-readers and tablets. The Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhile, and Kindle were the top-selling products worldwide since they were launched. “We’re now seeing the transition we’ve been expecting,” CEO Jeff Bezos says. “After 5 years eBooks is a multi-billion dollar category for us and growing fast — up approximately 70% last year. In contrast, our physical book sales experienced the lowest December growth rate in our 17 years as a book seller, up just 5%.” Media generated $6.51B in sales, +8.4%, while electronics and general merchandise sales came in at $13.93B, +27.7%.
Amazon Shares Volatile After Q4 Results Miss Expectations
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Boys': Antony Starr, Chace Crawford, Dominique McElligott & Jessie Usher Cast In Amazon’s Superhero Drama Series
Bart & Fleming: What Leo Plays In Tarantino Film; Why Gender Argument On Wahlberg/Williams Was Wrong
Ellen Pompeo On New 'Grey's Anatomy' Deal, The Show's End Game & Legacy And Her Post-'Grey's' Future - Q&A
Latest Business News
- Brigitte Bardot Calls #MeToo Movement “Hypocritical And Ridiculous”
- Harvey Weinstein Felt “Anger And Acceptance” Days Before His Downfall
- Head Of Hollywood Chamber Of Commerce Leron Gubler Announces Retirement
- Jane Fonda Talks TV’s Power, Tom Selleck Describes His Acting Approach At Brandon Tartikoff Awards — NATPE
- Donald Trump Praises Apple (And Pats Himself On The Back) For Creating Jobs In U.S.
- Sundance Drama ‘Burden’ Spawns Book That Sells To Convergent In Publishing Auction