Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained and Les Miserables (William Nicholson, Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schonberg, Herbert Kretzmer) are among a bunch of prominent movies whose screenplays the Writers Guild of America excluded from nominating ballots for its WGA Awards this year. Ballots sent to members list 112 eligible screenplays — 44 adapted and 68 original, Variety reported. The news surfaced Saturday on Hitfix. The WGA requires that scripts be produced under Guild jurisdiction or under a collective bargaining agreement in Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the U.K. and that the scripts be formally submitted for consideration. Other excluded titles include Amour, The Impossible, Middle of Nowhere, Seven Psychopaths, Take This Waltz, Your Sister’s Sister and Pixar’s animated Brave in the original category. Omissions in the adapted category include Anna Karenina, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, The Intouchables, Quartet and Rust And Bone. Being shut out of the Writers Guild Awards consideration won’t keep these movies off Oscar ballots, however. Despite shared memberships, screenwriting nominees for the Motion Picture Academy seldom correspond 100% in either original or adapted categories because Oscar rules are less restrictive.
WGA Nixes ‘Django Unchained’, ‘Les Miserables’, Several Others From Ballots
Oscar Watch 2017Best Picture Predictions by 28 ExpertsOdds1La La Land9/22Moonlight13/23Manchester by the Sea7/14Arrival10/15Lion10/1
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Motion Pictures Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards: 'Hacksaw Ridge,' 'Westworld' Among Winners - Full List
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
'The Good Fight' Premiere: Showrunners On New Streaming Setup, Deleted Trump Scene, Alicia & Eli Possibly Coming Back
Latest Awardsline News
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- John Waters Strikes A Blow For The Not-Normal – And For The Union: WGA Awards
- WGA Awards: ‘Moonlight’ & ‘Arrival’ Win Top Film Prizes; FX’s ‘Atlanta’ & ‘The Americans’ Lead TV – Complete…
- Oliver Stone’s Critique Of America: It’s Not Just Donald Trump, “But A System” – WGA Awards