Holy bubble-top! The car used in the 1966-68 Batman TV series will be auctioned off in January. Customizer George Barris bought the 1955 Lincoln Futura Concept car for $1 from the Ford Motor Co. Barris was given $15,000 and 15 days to gadgetize the handmade two-seater. He added a nose-mounted aluminum Cable Cutter Blade, Batphone, Bat Ray Projector, Automatic Tire Inflator and other fluorishes such as twin parachutes used to execute 180-degree turns. Barris still owns the one-of-a-kind car that came with a push-button transmission. It’s expected to fetch seven figures when the gavel comes down at the auction January 19th in Scottsdale, Ariz. Clark Gable’s personal 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe will also be sold that day. Notable showbiz cars typically go for large sums. The 1964 Aston Martin DB5 used in the James Bond films “Goldfinger” and “Thunderball” sold for $4.6 million at auction in 2010.
TV’s Original Batmobile To Be Auctioned Off
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'If I Stay' Sinks, 'Sin City 2' Bombs, 'Game' Scrambles As 'Guardians' Steps Up To No. 1
More From Team
- Holliday Grainger Toplines 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' For BBC One; Levi Meadon Joins Syfy's 'Olympus'
- SAG-AFTRA Members Ratify TV/Theatrical Contract
- Hot TV Clip: 'The Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Story'
- Repped By SAG-AFTRA, KPCC Gets First Union Contract
- 'MythBusters' Chops Three To Take Show Back To Its Roots
- Alicia Witt Signs With Innovative Artists & The Schiff Company