Holy bubble-top! The car used in the 1966-68 Batman TV series will be auctioned off in January. Customizer George Barris bought the 1955 Lincoln Futura Concept car for $1 from the Ford Motor Co. Barris was given $15,000 and 15 days to gadgetize the handmade two-seater. He added a nose-mounted aluminum Cable Cutter Blade, Batphone, Bat Ray Projector, Automatic Tire Inflator and other fluorishes such as twin parachutes used to execute 180-degree turns. Barris still owns the one-of-a-kind car that came with a push-button transmission. It’s expected to fetch seven figures when the gavel comes down at the auction January 19th in Scottsdale, Ariz. Clark Gable’s personal 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe will also be sold that day. Notable showbiz cars typically go for large sums. The 1964 Aston Martin DB5 used in the James Bond films “Goldfinger” and “Thunderball” sold for $4.6 million at auction in 2010.
TV’s Original Batmobile To Be Auctioned Off
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
Latest Film News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ At Milestones – Intl Box…
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun. AM…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency