EXCLUSIVE: Tribeca Film and Focus World have picked up Greetings From Tim Buckley, starring Gossip Girl’s Penn Badgley. Tribeca will release the Daniel Algrant-directed film theatrically next year, with the companies working together on VOD and other digital platforms. The film, which debuted at this year’s Toronto Film Festival, follows Jeff Buckley in the days leading up his 1991 tribute concert to his distant and now deceased father. Badgley plays the younger Buckley, who shot to fame in the 1990s before drowning in Tennessee’s Wolf River in 1997. Imogen Poots also stars. Algrant, Emma Sheanshang and David Brendel penned the screenplay; the Smuggler Films pic was produced by Patrick Milling Smith, John Hart, Amy Nauiokas and Fred Zollo. Tribeca Film’s director of acquisitions Nick Savva; and Focus’ EVP Strategic Planning, Business Affairs and Acquisitions Avy Eschenasy and Kent Sanderson, Director, Alternative Content & Distribution, negotiated the deal with CAA and Hengameh Panahi of Celluloid Dreams for the filmmakers. Greetings is the first of three Buckley films to be released: Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark’s Reeve Carney signed on last year for another Buckley biopic, and Mad Bastards director Brendan Fletcher is mounting is A Pure Drop, based on the book A Pure Drop: The Life Of Jeff Buckley.
Tribeca Film & Focus World Acquire ‘Greetings From Tim Buckley’
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Flying To Decent $60.3M: But Why Is Opening Lower Than ‘Into Darkness’?
- Noureen DeWulf Books Three Film Roles; Hannah Rose May Joins ‘The Recall’
- Joss Whedon’s Sermon On The Con: “The Dialogue Between Audiences And Studios Is Defaulting”
- RealD's 3D Projection Patents Upheld By U.S. International Trade Org
- Life After ‘Orphan Black’? Tatiana Maslany & Creators Discuss – Comic-Con
- Mark Boal Decries Military “Fishing Expedition” In Bowe Bergdahl Case