Big names joining the entertainment giant’s $36M Series C financing effort for the YouTube channel creator include Robert Downey Jr, Elisabeth Murdoch, and producer Jon Landau — as well as Greycroft Partners, GRP Partners, Jon Miller and Jimmy Yaffe’s investment company FUEL:M+C, and Daher Capital. “Our investment in Maker gives us insight into next generation video content and the ever evolving online video landscape, as well as access to new producers of content for Time Warner’s existing television, film and cable network operations,” says Time Warner Investments’ SVP and Group Managing Director Rachel Lam, who will join Maker’s board. The venture’s online stars include KassemG, Nice Peter’s “Epic Rap Battles of History,” the Shaytards, SnoopDogg’s WestFestTV, The Yogscast, The Gregory Brothers, Bad Lip Reading and Mike Tompkins. Maker says it will use the cash to accelerate its “rapid growth as a global platform for online programming while continuing to build brand and partner relationships.” Co-founder and CEO Danny Zappin says his venture “recognized there was a need for a new type of studio and network that could support artists on any platform.” Maker, which was founded in 2009, recently built a 40,000-square-foot production campus in Culver City that includes sound stages, production offices, prop and wardrobe areas, editing bays, and recording booths. In October, Maker became YouTube’s top independent network, passing Machinima. The new $36M round of funding also gives it bragging rights: It’s $1M more than Machinima raised in May, with help from Google.
Time Warner Gains YouTube Foothold With High-Profile Investment In Maker Studios
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Business News
- Garth Drabinsky Sets ‘Madame Sousatzka’ Musical For His Broadway Comeback
- Would Disney Find A Trick Or Tweet If It Bids For Twitter?
- Annapurna Pictures Launches TV Division Headed By Former HBO Executive Sue Naegle
- Smokey Robinson, BlackRock Team With Primary Wave To Promote “Iconic” Tunes
- Fox Networks Group Names David Levy EVP Of Non-Linear Revenue
- Bart & Fleming: How Will Wanda & Other Chinese Backers Change Movie Content?