Film memorabilia collector Ralph DeLuca paid $1.2 million for the rare Metropolis poster and eight others in a bankruptcy auction today in Los Angeles. Bidding for the lot, which also included posters from the 1933 films King Kong and Invisible Man, started at $700,000. The Metropolis poster from the 1927 Fritz Lang classic was purchased by California collector Kenneth Schachter for a record $690,000 in a 2005 private sale, but he was forced to sell it and eight others after declaring bankruptcy. “I honestly feel that the ‘Metropolis’ poster is worth more than the whole lot,” DeLuca told Reuters after the auction. It is one of only four copies known to be in existence. Metropolis was the most expensive silent film ever made at the time of its release and considered a hallmark in early cinema for its use of special effects and futuristic plot.
Rare ‘Metropolis’ Poster Fetches High Price At LA Auction
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts - International Box Office
PGA Awards: 'The Shape Of Water' Wins Outstanding Producer; 'Handmaid's Tale', 'Mrs. Maisel' Tops In TV - Full Winners List
White House Correspondent April Ryan Tells CNN News Organizations Have Police "On Speed Dial" For Death Threats
Latest Film News
- Andrea Riseborough And ‘Nancy’ Director Christina Choe On Finding Truth In Fiction – Sundance Studio
- SAG Awards Analysis: ‘Three Billboards’ Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ Shakes…
- SAG Awards Backstage: Allison Janney Calls #MeToo Movement “Watershed Moment” For Hollywood
- SAG Awards: ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ Wins For Film Ensemble – Complete Winners List
- Ashley Judd Seeks Gender Parity At WME & ‘Berlin Station’ – Sundance Film Festival
- Ethan Hawke Talks Sundance Memories, Directing ‘Blaze’ & Outlaw Country