Veteran character actor Charles Durning died yesterday in his Manhattan home. He was 89. A former professional boxer and a decorated World War veteran who took part in the D-Day invasion at Omaha Beach, the Battle of the Bulge and was one of few survivors of the Malmedy massacre, Durning earned two Oscar and nine Emmy nominations, most recently an Emmy nom in 2008 for his last major role, a recurring part on FX’s Rescue Me as Denis Leary’s retired firefighter father. According to AP, Durning died of natural causes. Durning started his acting career on stage before segueing to film and TV. He got his break with a role in the 1973 movie The Sting and was a standout in the 1982 comedy Tootsie. Durning was nominated for supporting-actor Oscars for the 1983 Mel Brooks comedy To Be or Not to Be and the 1982 musical The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. He frequently collaborated with friend Burt Reynolds, appearing in 13 movies together, including Whorehouse, as well as Reynolds’ 1990s TV sitcom Evening Shade, which landed Durning two Emmy nominations.
R.I.P. Charles Durning
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
China Makes Space For ‘The Martian’ As ‘Good Dinosaur’ Snatches Eggs From No. 1 ‘Mockingjay 2’ – Intl B.O. Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Latest TV News
- Al Markim, Who Played Astro In Pioneering ‘Tom Corbett, Space Cadet,’ Dies At 88
- ‘MasterChef Jr.’ Ratings Down, ‘Amazing Race’ Even, ‘Santa Claus’ Matches 2014
- ‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Strong Thanksgiving Day Ratings
- Marvel’s ‘Agent Carter’ Season 2 Teaser: Hayley Atwell Kicks Butt In Hollywood
- Thanksgiving NFL Matchup Draws 27.8M Viewers, 2nd-Most Ever For NBC Primetime Regular-Season Game – Update
- French Media Dedicates Coverage To Emotional Memorial Service For Victims Of Paris Attacks