Longtime Hollywood literary agent Mickey “The Cowboy” Freiberg died yesterday at his West Los Angeles home after a three-year battle with brain cancer, his family said. He was 72. Freiberg represented numerous award-winning clients throughout a 40-plus-year career, including the late Budd Schulberg who won a screenwriting Oscar for 1954’s On The Waterfront, author Homer Hickam whose book Rocket Boys became the basis for the 1999 film October Sky, and Ron Powers, who co-authored Flags Of Our Fathers, the book on which the 2006 Clint Eastwood-directed war film was based. He also represented Joe Pistone, the former FBI special agent who worked undercover as Donnie Brasco, The Bonanno Family (Mafia Marriage) and the late Bill Bonnano, co-author of The Good Guys with David Fisher. One of Freiberg’s proudest projects was the David Permut-produced film Youth In Revolt, based on the novel written by C.D. Payne and brought to Permut by Freiberg’s daughter Miranda when she was 17 years old. The comedy was released in 2010 by Dimension Films, with the younger Freiberg attached as co-producer and starred Michael Cera, Steve Buschemi, Ray Liotta and Zach Galifianakis. Known as a relentless salesman and master negotiator, Freiberg spent nearly 20 years as a partner at The Artists Agency before moving to Acme Talent & Literary as head of its literary department, later becoming president of the literary division. He went on to work at Diverse Talent Group and was Senior Vice President of the literary department at the Grace Talent & Literary Agency at the time of his death.
R.I.P. Mickey Freiberg
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: At $241.96M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats 'Last Jedi' - Update
George & Amal Clooney Joined By Katzenbergs In $500,000 Donations To March For Our Lives: Will Others In Hollywood Follow?
Latest Film News
- Steven Spielberg & Kate Capshaw Answer Call, Donate $500,000 & Join Clooneys, Katzenbergs In March For Our Lives…
- Sound Designer Julian Slater On His “Lightning In A Bottle” Moment With Sound-Centric ‘Baby Driver’
- Mel Gibson, Robert Towne, Mike Medavoy Team On ‘Dancing Bear’ For USA Network
- Avan Jogia Joins Tom Dolby’s ‘The Artist’s Wife’
- Jessica Chastain Circling ‘It’ Sequel, Just As Team Muschietti Planned
- ‘Midnight Rider’ Case: Director Randall Miller Asks Court To Drop CA Supervision