Universal opened its big holiday musical Les Misérables first overseas this weekend before it hits North America on Christmas Day. The studio said it grossed $1M at 348 dates in Japan as the #1 Hollywood film. That’s well ahead of the competition The Hobbit (now in its second week of release abroad) and #3 Skyfall (in its 3rd week of release abroad). Les Miz is #2 overall in Japan behind a local animated film. Universal boasts the musical’s opening day grosses there are at the same level as the opening day of Mamma Mia! which was a worldwide blockbuster with $465.7M internatonal. Les Miz is also beating The Hobbit in Korea which is holding paid previews this weekend. The first four days will outgross the first five days of Mamma Mia!. Les Miz opens in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Spain on Christmas Day, followed by Australia on Boxing Day, and Hungary on December 27th. The rest of the international markets will release in 2013 including the UK and Ireland on January 11th. Meanwhile, iTunes and Amazon report that first day of sales jumped Les Miz to the #1 soundtrack and the #3 album in iTunes. “I Dreamed A Dream” is the #1 Soundtrack Song and #1 “Movers & Shakers” on Amazon.
‘Les Misérables’ Starts International Run By Beating ‘The Hobbit’ In Japan & Korea
What's Hot on Deadline
Video - Melissa McCarthy Spoofs Hollywood's Audience Test Screenings & Cracks Up Leslie Jones: 'Saturday Night Live'
WGA Awards: 'Spotlight' & 'The Big Short' Take Marquee Film Honors; 'Mad Men', 'Veep' & 'Mr. Robot' Top TV - Full List
Latest Box Office News
- Michael Moore’s ‘Where To Invade Next’ Tops Slow Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Deadpool’ Rises To $125M+, ‘Zoolander 2,’ ‘How To Be Single’ Follow – Int’l…
- ‘Deadpool’s $150M+ Opening: Why The Town Didn't See It Coming Until It Happened – Sunday Final
- Paramount Dates A Trio Of ‘Transformers’ Sequels; Collides With ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘Godzilla 2…
- Samantha Bee Vs. The Guys On Late Night, Plus: The Coming Tony Awards Wars? – Gerard & Roth
- Michael Moore Sidelined As ‘Where To Invade Next’ Opens – Specialty Preview