Universal opened its big holiday musical Les Misérables first overseas this weekend before it hits North America on Christmas Day. The studio said it grossed $1M at 348 dates in Japan as the #1 Hollywood film. That’s well ahead of the competition The Hobbit (now in its second week of release abroad) and #3 Skyfall (in its 3rd week of release abroad). Les Miz is #2 overall in Japan behind a local animated film. Universal boasts the musical’s opening day grosses there are at the same level as the opening day of Mamma Mia! which was a worldwide blockbuster with $465.7M internatonal. Les Miz is also beating The Hobbit in Korea which is holding paid previews this weekend. The first four days will outgross the first five days of Mamma Mia!. Les Miz opens in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Spain on Christmas Day, followed by Australia on Boxing Day, and Hungary on December 27th. The rest of the international markets will release in 2013 including the UK and Ireland on January 11th. Meanwhile, iTunes and Amazon report that first day of sales jumped Les Miz to the #1 soundtrack and the #3 album in iTunes. “I Dreamed A Dream” is the #1 Soundtrack Song and #1 “Movers & Shakers” on Amazon.
‘Les Misérables’ Starts International Run By Beating ‘The Hobbit’ In Japan & Korea
What's Hot on Deadline
Sarah Silverman Calls Fellow Bernie Sanders Supporters "Ridiculous"; Al Franken Rips Donald Trump At DNC - Update
DNC Gavels In As Talk Swirls Of Bernie Sanders' Name Being Put In Nomination; Ohio Rep. Made Convention Chair
'Star Trek' TV Reboot Title & Teaser Unveiled At Comic-Con; New Series "Won't Be Episodic", Bryan Fuller Says
Sable Ranch, Popular Film & TV Location, Destroyed By Wildfire; Disney's Golden Oak Ranch "OK", LAFD Says - Update
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Cats’ Ticket Sales Purring; ‘Motown The Musical’ Hits Sour Note – Broadway Box Office
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Launches To $59M; ‘Lights Out’ Electrifies; ‘Ice Age’ Tepid; ‘Ghostbusters’ No Cinderella Story – Box Office…
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ $30M Debut; ‘Lights Out’ $8.5M; Jackie Chan’s ‘Skiptrace’ Nails $64M Bow – Int’l Box Office…
- Jackie Chan-Starring ‘Skiptrace’ Bows Big In China With $62M+ Debut
- Mike Birbiglia's 'Don't Think Twice' Tops $90K In Exclusive Run; 'Hillary's America' Grabs $3.7M: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Flying To Decent $59.6M: But Why Is It Lower Than ‘Into Darkness’?