After making his mark with FX’s The Shield, Shawn Ryan is returning to cable with a new project, this time on the premium cable side. The Last Resort co-creator/executive producer has teamed with the freshman ABC drama’s co-executive producer Ron Fitzgerald for the HBO project titled Badlands. Fitzgerald is writing the script based on a story he is writing with Rolin Jones. The two previously collaborated on The Knifeman adaptation for MRC, which had David Cronenberg attached to produce and direct. Badlands, produced by Sony TV where Ryan is under an overall deal, explores the challenges and joys of love and family, as well as the struggles of living in the blue-collar mining town of Tar River, Wyo, that’s fighting for its life during this economic hardship. Ryan, repped by WME and the Shuman Co., is now wrapping Last Resort, which didn’t receive a back order from ABC, and is working with Eddie Murphy on their Beverly Hills Cop pilot at CBS.
HBO Developing Mining Town Drama Produced By Shawn Ryan
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- NBC Buys Legal Drama From Matt Lopez & John Glenn
- Julianna Margulies Inks Production Deal With CBS Studios
- 'Hand Of God' To Go To Series, Two Others Likely As Amazon Studios Starts Making Series Pickup Decisions
- ABC Nabs 1970s Female Cop Drama From Fake Empire & Kapital Entertainment As Put Pilot
- 'Rush Hour' To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
- Yvonne Strahovski To Co-Star In ABC's 'Astronaut Wives Club'