This will enable the satellite company’s customers who subscribe to Starz or Encore to watch the channels’ programming on-demand via the Starz Play and Encore Play platforms. Initially it will only work for computers and Apple devices connected to Wi-Fi or broadband; computer interfaces are available from the channels’ websites, while the mobile apps are at Apple’s App Store. Services for gaming consoles and Android devices, as well as gadgets with cellular connections, are still in the works. There’s no word on when or whether DirecTV customers will be able to access Movieplex Play, a service that the programming company included in the deal with AT&T’s U-verse, announced this week. Starz is revving up its TV Everywhere platforms following its break with Netflix, which had streamed Starz programming until February. DirecTV had nearly 20M customers at the end of September.
DirecTV Launches Starz Play Streaming Services
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- TV Land Hit By Layoffs As Viacom Consolidates And Looks To Cut Costs
- Networks Still Nagged By Weak Ad Growth As Upfront Market Approaches
- Will HBO Team Up With Apple For Online Service Launch?
- Warner Bros CEO Forecasts More Cost Cutting, Even As Studio Grows
- Netflix Looks At ‘Beasts Of No Nation’ As An Experiment
- Chase Carey: Online Video Services Are A “Big Priority” For Fox