This will enable the satellite company’s customers who subscribe to Starz or Encore to watch the channels’ programming on-demand via the Starz Play and Encore Play platforms. Initially it will only work for computers and Apple devices connected to Wi-Fi or broadband; computer interfaces are available from the channels’ websites, while the mobile apps are at Apple’s App Store. Services for gaming consoles and Android devices, as well as gadgets with cellular connections, are still in the works. There’s no word on when or whether DirecTV customers will be able to access Movieplex Play, a service that the programming company included in the deal with AT&T’s U-verse, announced this week. Starz is revving up its TV Everywhere platforms following its break with Netflix, which had streamed Starz programming until February. DirecTV had nearly 20M customers at the end of September.
DirecTV Launches Starz Play Streaming Services
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz
- Citing “Insulting” Criticism, Comcast And Time Warner Cable Withdraw Funding For Dinner Honoring FCC Commissioner
- Televisa Partners With MiTu To Develop Spanish-Language Digital Content