A piano used in the Humphrey Bogart-Ingrid Bergman film Casablanca sold for just over $600,000, Reuters reported. Bids of between $800,000 and $1 million had been predicted. The 58-key upright piano on which actor and singer Dooley Wilson performed “As Time Goes By” sold at Sotheby’s for $602,500 including commission. Bergman’s memorable lines included “Play it once, Sam, for old times’ sake, play ‘As Time Goes By’.” Sotheby’s in 1988 had sold the piano to a Japanese collector who paid $154,000. Yesterday’s buyer was not identified.
‘Casablanca’ Piano Auctioned For $600K
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' [Video]
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake