A piano used in the Humphrey Bogart-Ingrid Bergman film Casablanca sold for just over $600,000, Reuters reported. Bids of between $800,000 and $1 million had been predicted. The 58-key upright piano on which actor and singer Dooley Wilson performed “As Time Goes By” sold at Sotheby’s for $602,500 including commission. Bergman’s memorable lines included “Play it once, Sam, for old times’ sake, play ‘As Time Goes By’.” Sotheby’s in 1988 had sold the piano to a Japanese collector who paid $154,000. Yesterday’s buyer was not identified.
‘Casablanca’ Piano Auctioned For $600K
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Kenny Smith Family Reality Series Joins TBS Starting Lineup
- 'Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown' Ratings: CNN Season Premiere Down With 538,000 Viewers
- 'Bone Tomahawk' Adds Five To Cast; Kristina Lauren Anderson To Adapt YA Novel 'Invisibility'
- TV Academy's Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen From Hall Of Fame Plaza
- SoftBank Eyes Stake In Legendary Pictures As DreamWorks Animation Talks Cool