A piano used in the Humphrey Bogart-Ingrid Bergman film Casablanca sold for just over $600,000, Reuters reported. Bids of between $800,000 and $1 million had been predicted. The 58-key upright piano on which actor and singer Dooley Wilson performed “As Time Goes By” sold at Sotheby’s for $602,500 including commission. Bergman’s memorable lines included “Play it once, Sam, for old times’ sake, play ‘As Time Goes By’.” Sotheby’s in 1988 had sold the piano to a Japanese collector who paid $154,000. Yesterday’s buyer was not identified.
‘Casablanca’ Piano Auctioned For $600K
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Mark Gordon To Receive Producers Guild's Norman Lear Award
- James Caan, Kevin Dillon, Sam Huntington Top Crackle Feature 'The Throwaways'
- NBC News To Air First Live Broadcast Of Global Citizen Festival Featuring Jay-Z, Carrie Underwood, The Roots
- USA's 'Benched' To Premiere October 28: Video
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Charles Dance Hints That Tywin Lannister Might Be Alive
- James Franco, Seth Rogen Celebrate Jimmy Fallon's 40th In Their Birthday Suits: VIDEO