BBC One and BBC Drama are teaming with J.K. Rowling‘s manager Neil Blair on an exclusive transfer of the Harry Potter author’s first post-Hogwarts novel, The Casual Vacancy. The book will be broken out into a TV series to be produced via an as-yet unnamed independent production company operated by Blair on behalf of The Blair Partnership, and Rick Senat. The number of episodes will be determined once the creative process gets rolling. Rowling will collaborate closely with the project that’s expected to air in 2014. The Casual Vacancy was published in September and sold over 1M copies in its first three weeks. The story, this time for adults as opposed to wizard-loving muggle children, is set in a seemingly perfect English village whose pretty façade hides a town at war. In a statement, Rowling said today, “I’m thrilled that the BBC has commissioned The Casual Vacancy. I always felt that, if it were to be adapted, this novel was best suited to television and I think the BBC is the perfect home.”
BBC Commissions Series Adaptation Of J.K. Rowling’s ‘The Casual Vacancy’
What's Hot on Deadline
Earth Will Feel The Power Of The Force Again: Disney's 'Rogue One' On Course For $280M-$350M Global Opening - Preview
'Moana' Pushes 'Office Christmas Party' Off Her Turf; 'La La Land' Hits High Notes - Early AM B.O. Update
'Spider-Man: Homecoming 2' Shoots Web Around Independence Day 2019; 'Bad Boys 4' Moves To Memorial Day
Donald Trump On Role In 'Celebrity Apprentice': "Zero Time" But "Big Stake"; Slams CNN As "Fake News"
Latest International News
- ‘Toni Erdmann’ Sweeps European Film Awards; Makes History At Message-Heavy Ceremony – Full List
- Earth Will Feel The Power Of The Force Again: Disney’s ‘Rogue One’ On Course For $280M-$350M Global Opening…
- ‘La La Land’ Review: A Gorgeous Musical Romance For This Age – And The Ages
- 21st Century Fox Reaches Preliminary Deal To Acquire UK’s Sky
- ‘Doctor Who’ Christmas Special Trailer: Can New York Be Saved From Aliens?
- Paul Verhoeven Named Jury President Of 2017 Berlin Film Festival