News Corp’s impending purchase of up to a 49% stake in the New York Yankees’ YES Network values the regional sports service at $3 billion, the New York Times reports. That’s lower than the $4 billion sellers had suggested YES was worth. News Corp prefers 100% ownership of its regional networks but even a minority stake in YES would be lucrative. YES is the most valuable of the regional sports networks, and the Times said the deal would include a route for News Corp to gain control of YES within 3 to 5 years but at a higher network valuation of $3.5 billion. The price for a stake in YES further illustrates the soaring figures paid for sports. The Yankees own 34% of YES; another 40% is owned by Goldman Sachs and Providence Equity, and the remainder is held by former owners of the Nets through an entity known as Community Youth Organization. The Yankees and News Corp have a family connection, the Times noted. The late George Steinbrenner and Rupert Murdoch were friendly and James Murdoch sits on the board of the team’s holding company Yankee Global Enterprises. YES also televises Nets basketball games.
Yankees’ YES Network Valued At $3B As News Corp Pursues Stake: NYT
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest TV News
- ‘Transparent’ Creator Jill Soloway Won’t Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment…
- Saoirse Ronan To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’, With Musical Guest U2
- ‘SNL’: Trump Boys Inherit Dad-Free Spot With “Juilliard Massage” Of “RickiLakes”
- ‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers And Cast Reflect On Season 2, Keep Tight-Lipped On Season 3
- ‘Parks & Rec’ Mike Schur Says “Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey”; ‘Leftovers’ Damon Lindelof Regrets…
- Lena Dunham Apologizes For Murray Miller Defense Amid Assault Allegations