Going into this weekend’s box office, Fandango tells me that James Bond’s Skyfall scooped up 65% of all online ticket sales before opening today. Not opening for another week, Twilight Saga’s Breaking Dawn Part 2 has 17%, and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey took in 15% even though it won’t be released for more than a month. But Wednesday was the first day that the big online ticket-seller Fandango began selling The Hobbit and immediately Peter Jackson’s long-awaited first installment raced to the top of the charts at Fandango with 33% of total sales. Warner Bros/MGM will open the first of its Hobbit trilogy in theatres on December 14th. All three films also are selling at MovieTickets which tells me that on Wednesday The Hobbit was only #3 in sales. On Thursday the results were Skyfall 58.79% (41.74% for standard screens and 17.05% for IMAX), Breaking Dawn 23%, and Hobbit with just under 5%.
‘The Hobbit’ Soared To #1 Online On Its First Day Of North American Ticket Sales
What's Hot on Deadline
'Star Trek' TV Reboot Title & Teaser Unveiled At Comic-Con; New Series "Won't Be Episodic", Bryan Fuller Says
Sable Ranch, Popular Film & TV Location, Destroyed By Wildfire; Disney's Golden Oak Ranch "OK", LAFD Says - Update
Sly Stallone Confirmed, Star Lord's Parents' Sex Life Discussed In Hilarious 'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Trailer - Comic-Con
'Star Trek Beyond' $30M Debut; 'Lights Out' $8.3M; 'Ice Age' Franchise Crosses $3B To Best 'Shrek'; China Loves 'Skiptrace' - Int'l Box Office Sunday
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ $30M Debut; ‘Lights Out’ $8.3M; ‘Ice Age’ Franchise Crosses $3B To Best ‘Shrek’; China Loves ‘Skiptrace’ – Int…
- Mike Birbiglia's 'Don't Think Twice' Tops $90K In Exclusive Run; 'Hillary's America' Grabs $3.7M: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Launches To $59.6M, Third Best Debut In The Series – Sunday Update
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Flying To Decent $59.6M: But Why Is It Lower Than ‘Into Darkness’?
- 'Absolutely Fabulous' Binges On The Big Screen; Mike Birbiglia Tackles Improv: Specialty Preview
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Climbs On Social Media After Moving Comic-Con World Premiere