Going into this weekend’s box office, Fandango tells me that James Bond’s Skyfall scooped up 65% of all online ticket sales before opening today. Not opening for another week, Twilight Saga’s Breaking Dawn Part 2 has 17%, and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey took in 15% even though it won’t be released for more than a month. But Wednesday was the first day that the big online ticket-seller Fandango began selling The Hobbit and immediately Peter Jackson’s long-awaited first installment raced to the top of the charts at Fandango with 33% of total sales. Warner Bros/MGM will open the first of its Hobbit trilogy in theatres on December 14th. All three films also are selling at MovieTickets which tells me that on Wednesday The Hobbit was only #3 in sales. On Thursday the results were Skyfall 58.79% (41.74% for standard screens and 17.05% for IMAX), Breaking Dawn 23%, and Hobbit with just under 5%.
‘The Hobbit’ Soared To #1 Online On Its First Day Of North American Ticket Sales
What's Hot on Deadline
FX Orders Ryan Murphy Anthology Series 'Feud', Jessica Lange & Susan Sarandon To Star In First Installment: Crawford v Davis
X Japan Docu 'We Are X' Picked Up By Mongrel International; Simon West Attached To Helm 'War Wolf' - Cannes
20th Century Fox Taps BOOM! Superhero Tale 'Irredeemable'; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting
Latest Box Office News
- New York Drama Critics’ Circle Votes ‘The Humans’ Best Play, ‘Shuffle Along’ Best Musical
- ‘Vaxxed’s Cinema Libre Teams With China’s Gaia To Expand U.S. Release, Head To Asia
- Matthew Perry’s West End Playwriting Debut Draws Crowds Despite Critics’ Barbs
- ‘Angry Birds’ Get Happy With Day-And-Date China Bow
- ‘Warcraft’ Sets China Release Two Days Ahead Of U.S.: A Burgeoning Trend?
- Mel Gibson WWII Movie ‘Hacksaw Ridge’ Jumps Into November Awards Season; ‘The Shack’ To Open In…