The stock is up 3.9% in post market trading after Regal declared a $1 a share special cash dividend, on top of its previously announced 21 cent quarterly payment. The company says that it intends to keep paying that quarterly dividend for the “foreseeable future.” The announcement, which coincides with Regal’s acquisition of the 25-theater Great Escape circuit, demonstrates its “commitment to delivering shareholder value,” CEO Amy Miles says. Regal is just the latest company to award a special dividend before the end of the year when taxes on such payments could change. (For example, Disney raised its dividend yesterday.) Unless there’s a deal in Washington to avoid the so-called “fiscal cliff,” a collection of tax and austerity measures that nobody seems to want, the policy to tax dividends as capital gains will expire. That could raise the rate to 39.6% from 15%. Regal’s $1 payment is “less than we had projected was possible given the low leverage ratio, improving free cash flow trends” and a recent shelf filing, B. Riley & Co analyst Eric Wold says. But it may indicate that Regal has “more acquisitions to come” following the $91M it paid for Great Escape.
Regal Entertainment’s Special Dividend Sends Shares Rising
What's Hot on Deadline
Hallmark Channel Upfront Presentation Canceled Due To Storm; Net Makes Announcements, Including ‘When Calls the Heart’ Renewal, At Central Park Event
Ryan Murphy On '9-1-1's Ratings Success, Season 2 Details, Connie Britton's Future On the Show & Potential Spinoff Series
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Deleted Scene Features Tom Hardy, Prince Harry & Prince William As Storm Troopers
'Once Upon A Time' Series Finale: Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Josh Dallas & Emilie de Ravin Returning
'The Assassination Of Gianni Versace' Season Finale: What Does Designer's Murder Mean 20 Years Later?
Latest Business News
- Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg Offers Apology On CNN For Data Leak: “This Was A Major Breach Of Trust”
- On Eve Of AT&T-DOJ Trial, Media Business Weighs The Stakes
- Rosario Dawson, Rubén Blades Contribute To Comics Anthology ‘Ricanstruction’ Benefiting Puerto Rico…
- Andrew McCabe Investigated Jeff Sessions About Russian Contacts Months Before Sessions Sacked Him: ABC News
- Disneyland’s Pirates Of The Caribbean Ride Makes Some Changes To Controversial Bride Auction Scene
- Meredith Plans 1,200 Layoffs & Will Sell Time, Sports Illustrated, Fortune And Money