The stock is up 3.9% in post market trading after Regal declared a $1 a share special cash dividend, on top of its previously announced 21 cent quarterly payment. The company says that it intends to keep paying that quarterly dividend for the “foreseeable future.” The announcement, which coincides with Regal’s acquisition of the 25-theater Great Escape circuit, demonstrates its “commitment to delivering shareholder value,” CEO Amy Miles says. Regal is just the latest company to award a special dividend before the end of the year when taxes on such payments could change. (For example, Disney raised its dividend yesterday.) Unless there’s a deal in Washington to avoid the so-called “fiscal cliff,” a collection of tax and austerity measures that nobody seems to want, the policy to tax dividends as capital gains will expire. That could raise the rate to 39.6% from 15%. Regal’s $1 payment is “less than we had projected was possible given the low leverage ratio, improving free cash flow trends” and a recent shelf filing, B. Riley & Co analyst Eric Wold says. But it may indicate that Regal has “more acquisitions to come” following the $91M it paid for Great Escape.
Regal Entertainment’s Special Dividend Sends Shares Rising
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Jack Reacher' Cuffs $31M But 'Mechanic' Puts Wrench Into China Perf; 'Girl', 'Inferno', 'Peregrine' Advance - Intl Box Office
Latest Business News
- AT&T And Time Warner Campaign For Their Merger And Fill In Details
- Obamageddon The Final Ride: POTUS In L.A. Monday For ‘Kimmel’ & Last Fundraiser
- Rachel Weisz Leads A Chilly ‘Plenty’ Revival At The Public Theater – Review
- Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration “Should Kill” The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: “Higher Prices & Fewer Choices”…
- AT&T And Time Warner Unveil Merger Terms Calling It A “Perfect Match”
- Report: AT&T Reaches $80B+ Deal To Acquire Time Warner; Announcement Could Come As Early As Tonight