Liza Minnelli will sing an original song with Christian Borle when she appears in an episode of NBC‘s Broadway musical drama Smash in the spring. The multiple Tony Award winner will play herself in the episode, titled “The Surprise Party”, and croon on a tune written by the show’s composers Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt, who worked with Minnelli while at Showtime on her Liza With A Z Broadway TV special, confirmed the casting today. Smash returns for its second season Tuesday, February 5 at 9-10 PM and settles into its regular 10-11 PM slot the next week. Jennifer Hudson, Jesse L. Martin and Sean Hayes have already been booked for roles in the upcoming season.
Liza Minnelli To Guest Star On NBC’s ‘Smash’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
More From Team
- HBO's 'The Normal Heart' To Receive PGA's Stanley Kramer Award
- Watch President Obama Discuss Sony Hack In Year-End Press Conference (Live Stream)
- Comedy Central Moves Up '@Midnight' For 2 Weeks Ahead Of Larry Wilmore Premiere
- MPAA Says North Korea Attack On Sony Is “Despicable, Criminal Act”
- Hulu Acquires 'Fargo' Miniseries In Deal With MGM