Liza Minnelli will sing an original song with Christian Borle when she appears in an episode of NBC‘s Broadway musical drama Smash in the spring. The multiple Tony Award winner will play herself in the episode, titled “The Surprise Party”, and croon on a tune written by the show’s composers Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt, who worked with Minnelli while at Showtime on her Liza With A Z Broadway TV special, confirmed the casting today. Smash returns for its second season Tuesday, February 5 at 9-10 PM and settles into its regular 10-11 PM slot the next week. Jennifer Hudson, Jesse L. Martin and Sean Hayes have already been booked for roles in the upcoming season.
Liza Minnelli To Guest Star On NBC’s ‘Smash’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Parkinson's & Robin Williams: Ex-Time Warner Chief Jerry Levin's Personal Reveal - Turning Tragedy Into Legacy
More From Team
- UPDATE: 'Cops' Crew Member Bryce Dion Dies After Being Shot During Robbery Standoff
- Now On Its Own, Millennium Entertainment Acquires David Burris' Thriller 'The World Made Straight'
- Former Discovery Exec Andrew Jackson Joins Grant Mansfield's Plimsoll Productions
- 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Crosses $500M In Global B.O.
- Longtime Fox TV Sales Exec Jean Rossi Exiting
- Amazon's 'Transparent' Set For September 26 Debut: Video