Jared Leto has been cast alongside Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner in the AIDS drug drama Dallas Buyers Club, which is starting production next week in New Orleans. It will be the first feature film in five years for Leto, who has been concentrating on his band 30 Seconds To Mars and his documentary Artifact, which won the People’s Choice Award this year at Toronto. Dallas centers on Ron Woodruff (McConaughey), who was given six months to live after contracting AIDS in 1986 and spent the next six years smuggling medicine into the U.S. to help himself and fellow sufferers. Leto will play Rayon, a cross-dressing fellow AIDS patient who meets Ron in the hospital. The role was considered a choice won and the producers were close to casting it last week, when Garner came aboard. Leto, whose past credits include Requiem For A Dream, Girl, Interrupted and Lord Of War, is repped by CAA and Untitled; CAA and Cassian Elwes rep the film’s domestic distribution rights.
Jared Leto Joins ‘Dallas Buyers Club’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Criminal Minds': Kirsten Vangsness & A.J. Cook In Limbo Over Parity Push As Joe Mantegna & Matthew Gray Gubler Re-Up
Universal Brands New Monster Movies As 'Dark Universe'; Bill Condon's 'Bride Of Frankenstein' Up Next In 2019 - Video
Why 'Alien: Covenant' Lost Its Bite At The B.O. With $36.1M Opening, -34% From 'Prometheus' -- Box Office Final
Latest Film News
- Joss Whedon To Wrap Up ‘Justice League’ Movie After Snyder Family Tragedy
- Joey King, Julia Goldani-Telles & More Join ‘Slender Man’ From Director Sylvain White
- Women Lead The Charge Toward A Gender Balance Not Seen In The History Of Entertainment — Deadline Disruptors
- When The Film Academy Invites New Members, Keep An Eye On That Growing Documentary Branch
- The Orchard Lands Cannes Competition Pic ‘BPM’; Samuel Goldwyn Inhales Tribeca’s ‘Holy Air’
- ‘The Originals’ Danielle Campbell Boards 'You Can Choose Your Family'