Here we go again. The biggest independent distributor of NBC programming has begun to air crawls and announcements warning DirecTV subscribers of “the possibility of a signal disruption” after November 30 when the programming carriage agreement for its 23 stations expires. “Over the past weeks, we have been in intense negotiations with DirecTV to reach a fair, market-based deal,” Gannett says. It adds that it has “never had service disruption with a major carrier” and will “work with DirecTV right up to the deadline.” DirecTV counters on its website that Gannett’s gone public “to try to get customers angry and pressure DirecTV to accept a deal that would more than double the cost of their stations.” It adds that blackout threats have become “a regrettable part of our business, as too many stations licensed to serve the public are willing to antagonize them instead.” About 20% of the 20.1M households in Gannett’s markets watch the stations’ programming on DirecTV, according to SNL Kagan data. Gannett has 12 NBC affiliates as well as six with CBS, three with ABC, and two with MyNetworkTV. Gannett’s properties include the CBS station in Washington, DC, and NBC stations in Atlanta, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Denver, Cleveland, and Phoenix. Last month Gannett’s carriage negotiations with Dish Network went right to the wire, but without any disruption of service.
Will Gannett’s TV Stations Go Dark On DirecTV?
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Latest Business News
- Review: Lerner & Loewe’s Golden ‘Brigadoon’ With Kelli O’Hara and Aasif Mandvi
- White House Celebrates Donald Trump For Not Acknowledging Sexual Assault Claims
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- ‘Transparent’ Writer Says Jeffrey Tambor Accusers Told “Their Truth” & Series Should Not “Be Taken Down”…
- Agent Cameron Mitchell Is Out At CAA; He Says Sexual Harassment Allegations “False”
- Deadline’s Podcast New Hollywood: Race-Specific Characters & ‘The 15:17 To Paris’ With Sinqua Walls