Sesame Street team member Emily Squires, who directed multiple episodes of the show and worked on soap operas including The Guiding Light and As the World Turns, died Wednesday at Mount Sina Hospital in New York City. She was 71 and her husband Len Belzer said today the cause of death has not been determined. Squires also directed several Sesame Street TV specials as well as other children’s programs such as the PBS show Between the Lions, which promoted reading and learning. She also was a scriptwriter for soap operas including Search for Tomorrow and The Secret Storm. Squires earned 15 Daytime Emmy nominations for Writing in a Drama Series, Drama Series Writing Team and Directing in a Children’s series.
R.I.P. Emily Squires
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Jessie Ennis Joins 'Veep'; Gladys Knight In 'Empire'
- Mark Gordon To Receive Producers Guild's Norman Lear Award
- James Caan, Kevin Dillon, Sam Huntington Top Crackle Feature 'The Throwaways'
- NBC News To Air First Live Broadcast Of Global Citizen Festival Featuring Jay-Z, Carrie Underwood, The Roots
- USA's 'Benched' Gets Premiere Date: Video
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Charles Dance Hints That Tywin Lannister Might Be Alive