Sesame Street team member Emily Squires, who directed multiple episodes of the show and worked on soap operas including The Guiding Light and As the World Turns, died Wednesday at Mount Sina Hospital in New York City. She was 71 and her husband Len Belzer said today the cause of death has not been determined. Squires also directed several Sesame Street TV specials as well as other children’s programs such as the PBS show Between the Lions, which promoted reading and learning. She also was a scriptwriter for soap operas including Search for Tomorrow and The Secret Storm. Squires earned 15 Daytime Emmy nominations for Writing in a Drama Series, Drama Series Writing Team and Directing in a Children’s series.
R.I.P. Emily Squires
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'If I Stay' Sinks, 'Sin City 2' Bombs, 'Game' Scrambles As 'Guardians' Steps Up To No. 1
More From Team
- Holliday Grainger Toplines 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' For BBC One; Levi Meadon Joins Syfy's 'Olympus'
- SAG-AFTRA Members Ratify TV/Theatrical Contract
- Hot TV Clip: 'The Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Story'
- Repped By SAG-AFTRA, KPCC Gets First Union Contract
- 'MythBusters' Chops Three To Take Show Back To Its Roots
- Alicia Witt Signs With Innovative Artists & The Schiff Company