It isn’t a done deal yet, but CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg tells analysts that his studio is “looking at” the possibility of releasing a third How To Train Your Dragon movie to follow the second, due in 2014. The company sees it as a potential opportunity to drive sales of licensed merchandise — which Katzenberg says will become “a bigger part of DreamWorks Animation going forward than it had been.” He wants at least one of the three movies it releases each year to have “a clear, forward leaning consumer products opportunity.” He says that Turbo (due in 2013) Dragons 2, and Trolls (2015) would fit the bill. The company also plans to bring in “high caliber manpower” to help drive its products initiatives.
DreamWorks Animation Weighs ‘How To Train Your Dragon 3′ As It Ramps Up Consumer Products
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz
- Citing “Insulting” Criticism, Comcast And Time Warner Cable Withdraw Funding For Dinner Honoring FCC Commissioner
- Televisa Partners With MiTu To Develop Spanish-Language Digital Content