It isn’t a done deal yet, but CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg tells analysts that his studio is “looking at” the possibility of releasing a third How To Train Your Dragon movie to follow the second, due in 2014. The company sees it as a potential opportunity to drive sales of licensed merchandise — which Katzenberg says will become “a bigger part of DreamWorks Animation going forward than it had been.” He wants at least one of the three movies it releases each year to have “a clear, forward leaning consumer products opportunity.” He says that Turbo (due in 2013) Dragons 2, and Trolls (2015) would fit the bill. The company also plans to bring in “high caliber manpower” to help drive its products initiatives.
DreamWorks Animation Weighs ‘How To Train Your Dragon 3’ As It Ramps Up Consumer Products
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
Latest Business News
- Hollywood Activists Join In Pressuring Amazon To Drop NRA TV From Streaming Service
- Television Academy Revises Its Code of Conduct For #MeToo Era
- Freeform Ups Deena Beach And Dalia Ganz To VP Level
- CNN Gun Violence Town Hall Trounces Competition In Early Ratings
- Tegna Board Elects Dell Executive As New Chairman
- Fox In Talks To Acquire Tribune Stations Post Sinclair Merger