It isn’t a done deal yet, but CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg tells analysts that his studio is “looking at” the possibility of releasing a third How To Train Your Dragon movie to follow the second, due in 2014. The company sees it as a potential opportunity to drive sales of licensed merchandise — which Katzenberg says will become “a bigger part of DreamWorks Animation going forward than it had been.” He wants at least one of the three movies it releases each year to have “a clear, forward leaning consumer products opportunity.” He says that Turbo (due in 2013) Dragons 2, and Trolls (2015) would fit the bill. The company also plans to bring in “high caliber manpower” to help drive its products initiatives.
DreamWorks Animation Weighs ‘How To Train Your Dragon 3’ As It Ramps Up Consumer Products
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Business News
- Carl Icahn Steps Down As Donald Trump Adviser On Regulatory Reform
- Roman Polanski Denied Dismissal Of 1977 Rape Case; Vital Testimony Stays Sealed
- Stuart Thompson Dies: ‘Proof’, ‘On Golden Pond’ Broadway Producer Was 62
- Univision Chief: CEOs Must Denounce Racism And The “Current Insanity”
- Another Presidential Council, This One Focused On The Arts, Quits On Donald Trump
- Will MoviePass Give Theaters A Jolt Of Innovation, Or Is It Doomed To Fail?