It isn’t a done deal yet, but CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg tells analysts that his studio is “looking at” the possibility of releasing a third How To Train Your Dragon movie to follow the second, due in 2014. The company sees it as a potential opportunity to drive sales of licensed merchandise — which Katzenberg says will become “a bigger part of DreamWorks Animation going forward than it had been.” He wants at least one of the three movies it releases each year to have “a clear, forward leaning consumer products opportunity.” He says that Turbo (due in 2013) Dragons 2, and Trolls (2015) would fit the bill. The company also plans to bring in “high caliber manpower” to help drive its products initiatives.
DreamWorks Animation Weighs ‘How To Train Your Dragon 3’ As It Ramps Up Consumer Products
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Business News
- ‘The Martian’ Opens To $44.6M, Will Pass $100M Worldwide Today – Int’l Box Final
- How NRA Second Amendment Paranoia, Money, Cowed Pols Make Next Massacre Inevitable: Commentary
- Does Lionsgate Have Starz In Its Eyes?
- Broadway Box Office Inches Back Up; ‘Finding Neverland’ Off 40% Since August
- Matt Dillon Moving From ‘Wayward Pines’ To UTA
- Tucker Tooley Leaving As Relativity President For “Creative Side” Of Business