Tyler Perry’s exclusive TV production deal with OWN shouldn’t turn the self-improvement channel into just another general entertainment network, Discovery CEO David Zaslav told analysts this morning. “This is something Oprah really wants,” he says. “We were much too teachy and preachy and earnest when we started….The audience said, ‘We want to have fun’.” Indeed, Zaslav says Perry will help now that the channel “has begun to find a rhythm.” OWN also should start to become less of a drag on earnings. Discovery execs say it invested $29M in Q3, and will spend less than that in the current quarter resulting in a year-end total below last year’s $150M. The picture should improve next year; Discovery’s new pay TV deals, with higher affiliate rates for OWN, take effect in January and could generate about $125M for the channel. “Oprah has been working very hard — she’s on the air much more often,” Zaslav says. He noted that her most recent interview with singer Rihanna attracted more black women during the time period than ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC had combined.
Discovery CEO Says OWN Will Become Less “Teachy And Preachy” With Tyler Perry
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
Disney Channel Launching Toon Series 'Amphibia' & 'The Owl House', Renews 'Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil' For Season 4
Latest Business News
- Time’s Up Turns Down Deven MacNair’s Plea For Help In Fighting Sex Discrimination In Stunt Biz
- ‘Stand Up For Something’ Being Used As Rallying Call For Gun Violence Prevention Movement
- Donald Trump Touts NRA Plan To Arm Teachers At CPAC
- Cinemark Shares Rise On Strong Earnings Results
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association Responds To Brendan Fraser Groping Charge
- Hollywood Activists Join In Pressuring Amazon To Drop NRA TV From Streaming Service