The seven lawsuits filed against Cinemark over the July 20 theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado will go forward as one, and they will go to trial in a year and a half. In a short hearing (read the minutes here) in Denver yesterday, U.S. District Judge R. Brook Jackson set a jury trial date of May 5, 2014 for the cases. The judge also ordered the suits consolidated for the purposes of discovery and motions. All cite the lack of proper security at the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises at the Aurora Century 16 multiplex as being responsible for the shooting by alleged gunman James Holmes. The rampage left 12 dead and 58 wounded. On Monday, Jackson gave January 31, 2014 as the cut-off date for discovery and February 15, 2014 as the deadline for dispositive motions. Three victims filed lawsuits on September 21 and four more suits were filed October 11 by victims and their families. Cinemark filed motions in October to have all lawsuits against it dismissed. Kevin Taylor and Kyle Seedorf of Denver firm Taylor Anderson are representing Cinemark in the case.
Colorado Theater Shooting Lawsuits Get May 2014 Trial Date
What's Hot on Deadline
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Latest Film News
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- ‘The Trade’: Exclusive Look At Showtime’s Opioid Epidemic Docuseries Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
- ‘Maria’: Ben Rekhi Wraps Timely Manila Drug-War Thriller With Alessandra De Rossi