The seven lawsuits filed against Cinemark over the July 20 theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado will go forward as one, and they will go to trial in a year and a half. In a short hearing (read the minutes here) in Denver yesterday, U.S. District Judge R. Brook Jackson set a jury trial date of May 5, 2014 for the cases. The judge also ordered the suits consolidated for the purposes of discovery and motions. All cite the lack of proper security at the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises at the Aurora Century 16 multiplex as being responsible for the shooting by alleged gunman James Holmes. The rampage left 12 dead and 58 wounded. On Monday, Jackson gave January 31, 2014 as the cut-off date for discovery and February 15, 2014 as the deadline for dispositive motions. Three victims filed lawsuits on September 21 and four more suits were filed October 11 by victims and their families. Cinemark filed motions in October to have all lawsuits against it dismissed. Kevin Taylor and Kyle Seedorf of Denver firm Taylor Anderson are representing Cinemark in the case.
Colorado Theater Shooting Lawsuits Get May 2014 Trial Date
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Nosing Out 'Pitch Perfect' For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Film News
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Nosing Out ‘Pitch Perfect’ For No. 1; ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box…
- How Director Rick Famuyiwa Grew ‘Dope’ – Cannes Q&A
- Michael Fassbender In ‘Macbeth': A Pair Of Clips From Cannes
- Un Certain Regard Winners: ‘Rams’, ‘The High Sun’, ‘Treasure’ & More – Cannes
- ‘Son Of Saul’ Wins FIPRESCI; Ecumenical Jury Honors ‘Mia Madre’ – Cannes
- Hot Cannes ‘Circle’ Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In ‘Assassin’s Creed’, New ‘Bourne…