Cinderella could soon have a new evil stepmother – played by Cate Blanchett. The Oscar-winning actress is in deep talks to join Disney’s live action retelling of the glass slipper classic tale, Deadline has confirmed. Blanchett would be playing the Lady Tremaine role of the wicked stepmother in the Mark Romanek-directed film. She would be the first thespian to join the project. The Devil Wears Prada scribe Aline Brosh McKenna sold the pitch to Disney for seven figures back in 2010. Chris Weitz has written the script. Simon Kinberg, who could be joining Disney’s new Star Wars movies, will produce. Blanchett, who will be seen in the upcoming The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, recently joined Skyfall‘s Daniel Craig, Bill Murray and The Artist’s Jean Dujardin in the George Clooney-directed The Monuments Men. Blanchett is repped by CAA.
Cate Blanchett Poised To Join Disney’s New ‘Cinderella’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Costume Designers Guild Awards: 'La La Land,’ 'Hidden Figures' & ‘The Crown’ Among Winners…
- Martin Scorsese's Robert De Niro Pic 'The Irishman' Heading To Netflix?
- Leah Adler Dies: Steven Spielberg’s Mother Was 97
- Uma Thurman Regrets Turning Down ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Role
- UCLA Diversity Report Downplays Gains Made By Industry’s Women and Minorities
- ‘Logan’ Review: The Marvel Comic Book Movie For People Who Hate Marvel Comic Book Movies