Cinderella could soon have a new evil stepmother – played by Cate Blanchett. The Oscar-winning actress is in deep talks to join Disney’s live action retelling of the glass slipper classic tale, Deadline has confirmed. Blanchett would be playing the Lady Tremaine role of the wicked stepmother in the Mark Romanek-directed film. She would be the first thespian to join the project. The Devil Wears Prada scribe Aline Brosh McKenna sold the pitch to Disney for seven figures back in 2010. Chris Weitz has written the script. Simon Kinberg, who could be joining Disney’s new Star Wars movies, will produce. Blanchett, who will be seen in the upcoming The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, recently joined Skyfall‘s Daniel Craig, Bill Murray and The Artist’s Jean Dujardin in the George Clooney-directed The Monuments Men. Blanchett is repped by CAA.
Cate Blanchett Poised To Join Disney’s New ‘Cinderella’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Patten
- Did Sony Or Exhibitors Kill 'The Interview?'
- North Korean Link To Sony Hack Shifts Legal Landscape For Studio
- North Korea “Responsible” For Sony Hack, FBI Confirms
- WME Owned IMG Hit With Latest Intern Class Action Lawsuit
- MPAA Hits “Shameful” Google Over Sony Hacking Revelations – Update
- Sundance 2015: Edgar Wright, Cary Fukunaga & Jonathan Nolan Among Fest's Jury Members