Cinderella could soon have a new evil stepmother – played by Cate Blanchett. The Oscar-winning actress is in deep talks to join Disney’s live action retelling of the glass slipper classic tale, Deadline has confirmed. Blanchett would be playing the Lady Tremaine role of the wicked stepmother in the Mark Romanek-directed film. She would be the first thespian to join the project. The Devil Wears Prada scribe Aline Brosh McKenna sold the pitch to Disney for seven figures back in 2010. Chris Weitz has written the script. Simon Kinberg, who could be joining Disney’s new Star Wars movies, will produce. Blanchett, who will be seen in the upcoming The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, recently joined Skyfall‘s Daniel Craig, Bill Murray and The Artist’s Jean Dujardin in the George Clooney-directed The Monuments Men. Blanchett is repped by CAA.
Cate Blanchett Poised To Join Disney’s New ‘Cinderella’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest Film News
- ‘Ouija: Origin Of Evil’: The Newton Brothers Talk Their Horror Film Score
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Gets Going With $31M; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ At Milestones – Intl…
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Madea’ To Push Well Past $27M As ‘Jack Reacher’ Takes $22M to $23M; ‘Joneses’ Can’t Keep Up – Sun…
- Matthew McConaughey To Be Honored At Napa Valley Film Festival
- Dan Porter, WME’s Head Of Digital, To Exit Agency