Hollywood wasn’t the only big winner at the Thanksgiving holiday box office. Still smarting from the $8.5M dent Hurricane Sandy put in their coffers, Broadway shows reaped big receipts and broke records during all of Thanksgiving week. According to figures from The Broadway League, 31 shows scored $27.02M for the seven-day period ending November 25, compared to $20.88M for 33 shows the week before. Although that will help with some of the post-Sandy recovery, it wasn’t enough to beat last year’s Thanksgiving week of $28,086,475, the Associated Press reported. The long-running Wicked had the best eight-show week in Broadway history with $2.29M in box office. Annie set a house record at the Palace Theatre with $1.5M in sales and The Book Of Mormon logged the 42nd overturning of its own house record at the Eugene O’Neill with takings of just over $1.8M. Shows with marquee stars including The Heiress with Jessica Chastain and Dan Stevens, Grace with Paul Rudd, and Dead Accounts with Katie Holmes did not fare as well as the big-ticket musicals. The Heiress lost $109,000 over the week, Grace took in 34% of its potential and Dead Accounts took in $402,460 from a potential of a little more than $1M.
Broadway Has Thanksgiving Revival With $27M Box Office; ‘Wicked’ Makes History
What's Hot on Deadline
Hallmark Channel Upfront Presentation Canceled Due To Storm; Net Makes Announcements, Including ‘When Calls the Heart’ Renewal, At Central Park Event
Ryan Murphy On '9-1-1's Ratings Success, Season 2 Details, Connie Britton's Future On the Show & Potential Spinoff Series
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Deleted Scene Features Tom Hardy, Prince Harry & Prince William As Storm Troopers
'Once Upon A Time' Series Finale: Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Josh Dallas & Emilie de Ravin Returning
'The Assassination Of Gianni Versace' Season Finale: What Does Designer's Murder Mean 20 Years Later?
Latest International News
- BFI Reports Reveal How UK Films Fared At 2017 Global Box Office & On Awards Circuit
- Amazon Snaps Up ‘Falco’; Euro TV Firms Set Internet Protections; Tuchman Joins NextUp – Global Briefs
- ‘Peaky Blinders’ Steven Knight On Fans & Heroes As He Nabs First BAFTA Nomination For Writing Gangster Saga
- ‘The Crown’ & ‘Taboo’ Lead BAFTA TV Craft Nominations – Full List
- ‘Trainspotting’s Kelly Macdonald To Star In BBC One Legal Thriller ‘The Victim’
- Andrew McCabe Investigated Jeff Sessions About Russian Contacts Months Before Sessions Sacked Him: ABC News