Hollywood wasn’t the only big winner at the Thanksgiving holiday box office. Still smarting from the $8.5M dent Hurricane Sandy put in their coffers, Broadway shows reaped big receipts and broke records during all of Thanksgiving week. According to figures from The Broadway League, 31 shows scored $27.02M for the seven-day period ending November 25, compared to $20.88M for 33 shows the week before. Although that will help with some of the post-Sandy recovery, it wasn’t enough to beat last year’s Thanksgiving week of $28,086,475, the Associated Press reported. The long-running Wicked had the best eight-show week in Broadway history with $2.29M in box office. Annie set a house record at the Palace Theatre with $1.5M in sales and The Book Of Mormon logged the 42nd overturning of its own house record at the Eugene O’Neill with takings of just over $1.8M. Shows with marquee stars including The Heiress with Jessica Chastain and Dan Stevens, Grace with Paul Rudd, and Dead Accounts with Katie Holmes did not fare as well as the big-ticket musicals. The Heiress lost $109,000 over the week, Grace took in 34% of its potential and Dead Accounts took in $402,460 from a potential of a little more than $1M.
Broadway Has Thanksgiving Revival With $27M Box Office; ‘Wicked’ Makes History
What's Hot on Deadline
John Oliver Offers Donald Trump His Emmy Award If Candidate Will Accept Election Results On November 8
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest International News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ At Milestones – Intl…
- Sony Pictures Int’l Pacts With Producers Eduardo Cisneros & Jason Shuman
- Len Blavatnik’s AI Film Boards Margot Robbie-Starrer ‘I, Tonya’
- China’s Alibaba Pictures Takes Film Rights To Children’s Book Series ‘Warriors’
- Jesse Plemons Joins Kirsten Dunst’s Directorial Debut ‘The Bell Jar’
- Another Anti-Trump Documentary On Way: ‘You’ve Been Trumped Too’