I suspect that Apple would have said something if it sold 1.5M or more iPad Minis. That was the top of the widely cited target range for sales that Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster gave last week ahead of the first weekend when consumers could snap up one of the new tablets with the 8-inch screens. Apple says today that it sold 3M iPads, including its new fourth-generation full-sized model. That’s “double the previous first weekend milestone of 1.5 million Wi-Fi only models sold for the third generation iPad in March,” Apple says. It adds that the Wi-Fi + Cellular versions of its iPads will be available in a few weeks in the U.S. before going global. Still, CEO Tim Cook says that Apple “set a new launch weekend record and practically sold out of iPad minis. We’re working hard to build more quickly to meet the incredible demand.” Apple shares are up less than 1% in mid-day trading, and down 8.4% since October 23 when the iPad Mini was introduced.
Apple Moves 3M iPads Over Weekend, But Doesn’t Break Out iPad Mini Number
What's Hot on Deadline
DGA Awards: Alejandro G. Iñárritu Wins Feature Film Award For 'The Revenant'; HBO Cleans Up With Wins For 'Game Of Thrones', 'Veep' & 'Bessie' - Full List
DGA Awards: Inarritu's Big Win Gives Momentum To 'Revenant' But Keeps Best Picture Race In The Undecided Column
'Kung Fu Panda 3' Does Touchdown Dance With $21M As Super Bowl Weekend Slaughters 'Zombies', 'Choice': Sunday B.O.
'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Reaches Unprecedented Height At Domestic B.O. With $900M, $2B Worldwide
Latest Business News
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Responds To #RIPTwitter, Denies Plans To Alter Timeline: “We Get It”
- FanDuel & DraftKings See Citigroup “Block” Transactions In NY State
- Watch LA Mayor Eric Garcetti Slow-Jam The 101 Freeway Closure
- Lionsgate Plans 17 Films For 2017, Says ‘Star Wars’ Grabbed $50M-$100M From ‘Mockingjay 2’; Stock…
- Worldwide Production Agency Names Five As Partners
- Viacom Reinforces Culture Of Cronyism With CEO As Chairman: Commentary