EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company has picked up the English-language rights to the thriller Snow Piercer from South Korea’s CJ Entertainment. Made at this year’s AFM, the deal for the multiple territory acquisition of the future-set film was in the seven figures. Weinstein Company will distribute Snow Piercer in North America, the UK, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. The English-language directorial debut of Bong Joon-ho, the movie stars The Avengers’ Chris Evans, Ed Harris, The Help’s Octavia Spencer, Jamie Bell, Tilda Swinton and Song-Kang-ho. Joon-ho and Kelly Masterson wrote the screenplay based on the graphic novel Le Transperceneige. The movie is set in the not too distant future where a new Ice Age has wiped out most of the human race. With a revolt brewing onboard, the Snow Piercer is a train of Earth’s lone survivors that travels around the cold world. WME Global’s Alexis Garcia negotiated the deal with Weinstein on behalf of CJ Entertainment. There is no release date set yet for Snow Piercer but sources say a wide Summer 2013 release looks likely.
AFM: Weinstein Co Acquires ‘Snow Piercer’; Thriller Stars ‘Avengers” Chris Evans
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Renews & Expands 'Southern Charm', Sets More 'Shahs Of Sunset' & 'Million Dollar Listing New York'
Latest Film News
- Hounds At His Heels, Brad Grey Has Decided To Fight For His Survival At Paramount–Part 1
- Doug Liman On The Challenges Of Shooting In The Virtual Reality Format
- SAG-AFTRA Teams With ATA To Pay Actors’ Unclaimed Residuals
- Topher Grace Joins Cast Of ‘Under The Silver Lake’
- Eric Bana To Star Opposite Forest Whitaker In Desmond Tutu Pic ‘The Forgiven’
- The Night State Sen. Ron Calderon Offered To Sell Out The Film Industry For A Bribe