It’s a modest victory for CEO Marissa Mayer, reflected in a more than 3% pickup in Yahoo shares in post-market trading. Net income soared to $3.16B from last year’s $298.3M due to the $2.8B Yahoo received from the sale of shares in Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba. Revenues at $1.09B, not including traffic acquisition costs, were up 2%. Still, the revenue figure beat the Street’s forecast of $1.08B. And excluding the Alibaba sale, earnings per share came in at 35 cents — well ahead of the consensus forecast for 26 cents. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the $414M Yahoo recorded from its search business, up 11% from last year. Most analysts figured the new number would come in about $390M or lower. But that was offset by lower-than-expected sales from display ads. They came in at $452M, flat vs last year; analysts predicted at least $470M from display. The earnings release offers no new information about Mayer’s plans for the company. “We’re taking important steps to position Yahoo for long-term success, and we’re confident that our focus on quality and improving the user experience will drive increased value for our advertisers, partners, and shareholders,” she says. Yahoo watchers expect her to discuss her vision in a conference call this afternoon.
Yahoo Q3 Earnings Beat Forecasts With Strong Results From Search
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Business News
- Weinstein Co. Bidder Emerges, Promises Majority Female Leadership
- Ava DuVernay & Ryan Coogler Celebrate People Of Color In Film: “A Hero Doesn’t Have To Be Defined So Narrowly”…
- Earle Hyman Dies: Veteran Broadway Actor, Cosby TV Dad Was 91
- President Donald Trump On LaVar Ball Diss: “I Should Have Left Them In Jail!”
- Mel Tillis Dies: The Country Music Hall Of Famer And Actor Was 85
- NFL Anthem Protests Week 11 – Kneeling Continues After Veteran’s Day Respite