Haven’t heard back from Sony, but sources say Shailene Woodley has the offer to play Mary Jane Watson in the Marc Webb-directed The Amazing Spider-Man sequel, and her deal will close soon, we’re told. It is a coup for an actress who just arrived on the motion picture map with Alexander Payne’s The Descendants. (On the TV side, her breakthrough ABC Family series The Secret Life Of The American Teenager will end after this season). In Spider-Man 2, set for a 3D release May 2, 2014, Woodley will play the role originated by Kirsten Dunst as Sony Pictures retraces the ground it covered in Sam Raimi’s trilogy. Emma Stone played the character Gwen in the first film that starred Andrew Garfield as the webslinger.
Web Slinger Eyes Shailene Woodley As Love Interest
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Team
- Loretta Devine Joins Jerrod Carmichael Comedy Pilot; Hemky Madera In 'Queen Of The South'
- Fox Business Network Will Receive 'Strange Inheritance' In January
- Charlie Sheen To Reprise His 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' Role On 'The Goldbergs'
- Hulu Inks Streaming Deal For FX Series, Including 'Tyrant', 'The Strain' & 'AHS'
- Byron Pitts Replacing Dan Abrams As 'Nightline' Anchor
- 'Orphan Black' Season 3: “This Is War” — Video