The Weather Channel’s coverage of Hurricane Sandy beat all the cable news networks in primetime among adults 25-54 and in overall day viewership. TWC’s viewership peaked to 1.44 million in the demographic Monday during the 10 PM hour. That outperformed the 1.043 million CNN topped in the demo last night during Piers Morgan Tonight at 9 PM. It also beat the demo high of 924,000 in that Fox News Channel’s The Fox Report with Shepard Smith had in the 7 PM slot and the 611,000 best demo that MSNBC had for its Rachel Maddow Show at 9 PM ET. The Weather Channel had 2.03 million viewers on average over the entire day. Fox News was second with 1.98 million viewers on average over the day. Flipping it around, the Weather Channel was second only to FNC with total primetime average viewership on Monday. The channel had a primetime total viewership average of 3.13 million on Monday. FNC had 3.53 million with CNN getting 2.34 million and MSNBC pulling in 1.40 million. Monday was the Comcast-owned network’s third highest total day average since it launched on May 2, 1982. Only when Hurricane Irene made landfall on August 27, 2011 (2.45 million) and when Hurricane Katrina made landfall on August 28, 2005 (2.27 million) did TWC had higher overall viewership.
Weather Channel Ratings Surge With Sandy Coverage
Trending Now on Deadline
Ryan Murphy & His 'Glee' Co-Creators Get Fox Series Order For Comedy-Horror Anthology 'Scream Queens'
Alamo Drafthouse's Tim League: Make A Place For Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino, And Film Stock In Digital Future
More From Patten
- UTA & 'Trouble With The Curve' Writer Hit With New $5M Lawsuit Over Clint Eastwood Pic
- 'The Walking Dead' Ratings Solid In Week 2 Against Peyton Manning & 'SNF' Rebound
- 'Femme Fatales' Actress Loses Legal Move Against Cinemax Late Night Series Producer
- 'Sunday Night Football' Ratings Rise, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Up Again, ABC's Night Steady
- 'Sunday Night Football' Ratings Soar Behind Peyton Manning's Record-Breaking TD Pass
- 'Amazing Race' Ratings Surge, 'America's Next Top Model' Falls, 'Cristela' Steady In Week 2 As ABC Wins Night In Demo Again